The Student Room Group

GCSE English literature - power and conflict

what should be the structure to write a 30 mark power and conflict essay?
Reply 1
Remember: Point, Evidence, Explanation, Link

You want to start with stating your point. How are the texts different/similar? Then link this directly back to the question with evidence such as quotes, grammatical choices and an analysis on why certain nouns, adjectives, verbs etc are used. After this see if you can relate the above points to the both the main and secondary meanings of the text. Is it about the PTSD people experience after war? Is it about the power of nature against humanity? How is this shown by what you said above. See if you can create your own interpretation on this, what are your own thoughts on the meanings this poem creates? Make sure you are comparing the two texts throughout. Write about three paragraphs of this, a conclusion is good to include if you have time but if you run out of time it's not necessary.
Wishing you luck in your exams :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you for your response! quick question: can I write a similarly paragraph for both poems and then a difference paragraph for both poems as well as a thesis and conclusion?
Reply 3
Original post by t.p
Thank you for your response! quick question: can I write a similarly paragraph for both poems and then a difference paragraph for both poems as well as a thesis and conclusion?

You can write the paragraphs in whatever way you want as long as there is a clear point followed by an explanation with evidence and a link back to your original point. You can write a conclusion if you want but I don't believe you need it for a good grade. A thesis is basically your initial point, so you can literally just write a one word sentence and that will get the point of your essay across. The most marks are in the explanation and evidence with short explanations into your point and link, so only include a thesis and conclusion if you have time.
If it helps I got an 8 in my exam by following this structure, hope you do well x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending