The Student Room Group

No Economics offers from UCL/Warwick

Hi,
I've applied for courses for Bsc Economics at both UCL and Warwick, but have not heard back from either of them, but know lots of people who have heard back from either one of them. On the UCL portico website it also still says application recieved. Is this a bad sign, because I am worried that by the time they get to my application they will have no spaces left to potentially give me offers?

Thanks
Original post by adpie
Hi,
I've applied for courses for Bsc Economics at both UCL and Warwick, but have not heard back from either of them, but know lots of people who have heard back from either one of them. On the UCL portico website it also still says application recieved. Is this a bad sign, because I am worried that by the time they get to my application they will have no spaces left to potentially give me offers?

Thanks

If your application was received by them before the equal consideration deadline (25th January), then your application will be given equal consideration. So it's not that they have yet to "get to" your application - that wouldn't be considering it equally. However, what they might be doing is making offers to A*A*A* candidates first, then waiting to see how many firm / insure / decline those offers, then making offers to A*A*A candidates and waiting to see what they do, etc.

They may also be consider other factors that just A level grades. For example, they could be making offers to those with the best personal statements first, or the best GCSE grades, or the best school reference, etc.

You say that you "know lots of people who have heard back from either one of them". Do those people have the same grade profile as you?

Finally, I assume you're aware that last year Warwick were still making Economics offers in April and May to A*A*A* candidates (see here).
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
If your application was received by them before the equal consideration deadline (25th January), then your application will be given equal consideration. So it's not that they have yet to "get to" your application - that wouldn't be considering it equally. However, what they might be doing is making offers to A*A*A* candidates first, then waiting to see how many firm / insure / decline those offers, then making offers to A*A*A candidates and waiting to see what they do, etc.

They may also be consider other factors that just A level grades. For example, they could be making offers to those with the best personal statements first, or the best GCSE grades, or the best school reference, etc.

You say that you "know lots of people who have heard back from either one of them". Do those people have the same grade profile as you?

Finally, I assume you're aware that last year Warwick were still making Economics offers in April and May to A*A*A* candidates (see here).

Hello thanks for your response,
I wasn't completely aware of equal consideration. Does that mean that when they review my application and when they decide to give me an offer or not, they do this without looking at how many offers that they have already given out, and not reject me simply because they have already given many offers out?

My grade profile is 3A*s predicted, with strong GCSEs, et cetera, but the people I have heard that have got offers have got 4A*s predicted- so perhaps they are looking at those applicants first.
At least you haven't been rejected.
Original post by adpie
Hello thanks for your response,
I wasn't completely aware of equal consideration. Does that mean that when they review my application and when they decide to give me an offer or not, they do this without looking at how many offers that they have already given out, and not reject me simply because they have already given many offers out?

My grade profile is 3A*s predicted, with strong GCSEs, et cetera, but the people I have heard that have got offers have got 4A*s predicted- so perhaps they are looking at those applicants first.

Equal consideration means that whether you applied on 25th September 2022 or 25th January 2023, that will make no difference to your likelihood of receiving an offer. Many people worry that unis process applications as they're received and that if they apply later than someone else, there's a lower chance of an offer because all the places will have gone by that point. The concept of "equal consideration" rules out that concern.

However, your observation about those with the best applications (be that judged by predicted grades or some other metric) getting offers before other candidates does often seem to be the case.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending