The Student Room Group

choosing an uni as an international student

I recently just got back offers from the three medical schools in the UK that I interviewed for and was super happy about them! The unis were UCL, Southampton and Brighton and Sussex. My first choice was UCL and that was my plan. But when revising the tuition fees (+ accommodation and fees and others) with my parents, all the unis had raised tuition fees from the previous year by a lot. Especially UCL compared to the other two and if I want to study there I will probably have to take student loans.

So I wanted some advice from medical students that have graduated from these unis (or anyone who can help me) on whether the tuition fees for UCL are worth its course. Because at the end of the day, all doctors in England end up in the NHS. What advantages would I get by studying in UCL (apart from living in London) compared to other unis?

Thank you very much.
Hi there,

I personally do not study medicine at UCL but I can give you an idea from my own experience. I personally think that it is important that you enjoy the course and the city you are in. There will be lots of different pros and cons to each university that you have applied to and got offers from. The beauty of medicine is that no matter where you get your degree from, because it is vocational you end up with the same qualification at the end so it doesn't matter which university you go to.
I think it is important to weigh up what is most important to you, and then make your decision from there,

I hope this helps,

Ellen
Y3 Medical Student
University of Sunderland
Digital Ambassador
Original post by chipped
I recently just got back offers from the three medical schools in the UK that I interviewed for and was super happy about them! The unis were UCL, Southampton and Brighton and Sussex. My first choice was UCL and that was my plan. But when revising the tuition fees (+ accommodation and fees and others) with my parents, all the unis had raised tuition fees from the previous year by a lot. Especially UCL compared to the other two and if I want to study there I will probably have to take student loans.

So I wanted some advice from medical students that have graduated from these unis (or anyone who can help me) on whether the tuition fees for UCL are worth its course. Because at the end of the day, all doctors in England end up in the NHS. What advantages would I get by studying in UCL (apart from living in London) compared to other unis?

Thank you very much.
Reply 2
Original post by University of Sunderland Student Ambassador
Hi there,

I personally do not study medicine at UCL but I can give you an idea from my own experience. I personally think that it is important that you enjoy the course and the city you are in. There will be lots of different pros and cons to each university that you have applied to and got offers from. The beauty of medicine is that no matter where you get your degree from, because it is vocational you end up with the same qualification at the end so it doesn't matter which university you go to.
I think it is important to weigh up what is most important to you, and then make your decision from there,

I hope this helps,

Ellen
Y3 Medical Student
University of Sunderland
Digital Ambassador

thank you very much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending