The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Sheffield or Lancaster

I’ve got offers from Sheffield and Lancaster for Biomedical Science for next year and don’t know which one to firm. They’re the same grades so can anyone tell me some pros and cons of the course or just the uni in general? Also I’m not super interested in clubbing and that sort of thing so is there a lot of pressure to go out at either uni/other things to do?
Reply 1
Hi!
I am a current third-year history student at Lancaster University, and thought I could give you some insight into the questions you asked.

While I can't tell you much about Biomedical Sciences itself, I can tell you a bit about the university. The university has a collegiate system, which means that the university is broken down into colleges and in first year you live in your college. I thought this was really good because it makes the university seem less overwhelming - you're still surrounded by a lot of people (so you can find the people you want to be friends with easily) but you won't get lost/left behind. It's a relatively small campus, but there is plenty to do, and it is also a really beautiful campus.

For most people considering Lancaster the main con is that Lancaster doesn't have a huge clubbing scene - there are a few clubs for those who want to go, but it definitely isn't something everyone does. There are plenty of other things to do, both in the town and at the Uni. There is basically every society you can imagine, from academic ones, sports ones and other creative ones like Baking society, so there should definitely be something you can find to fill your time with.

Please let me know if you have any more questions that I can help with!
~ Georgia
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve got offers from Sheffield and Lancaster for Biomedical Science for next year and don’t know which one to firm. They’re the same grades so can anyone tell me some pros and cons of the course or just the uni in general? Also I’m not super interested in clubbing and that sort of thing so is there a lot of pressure to go out at either uni/other things to do?

Hey!
I can see that Georgia has given an amazing answer based on her experience, I'd like to add in a little bit of mine as well.
Personally, I feel that the campus is huge (i believe Sheffield is slightly bigger) and does require a lot of walking based on your location on campus.
There are also loads of restaurants, 2 super markets, a playground, 2 beauty and hair salons, a post office, ATMs around, and loads of study spaces spread around the campus.
One of my favourites things here is that I have many cuisine options to choose from depending on my mood.
I believe one of the downsides of Lancaster is probably it's weather - rains a lot !!
Also as Georgia has already mentioned, the town is rather smaller compared to a bigger city, so there aren't too many shopping options- you might need to catch a train to preston or manchester (which are pretty close by) if you want to do some in-store shopping.
However, the town being small is also pretty handy as its easily walkable, and you'll know a lot of people around.

In terms of clubbing, there are 2 clubs that people really go to, the student union club is open every Wednesday and Friday, although personally I have never been out on a Wednesday as it is a weekday and my reason was never frowned upon. Although your friends might try to convince you to go out with them, purely out of friendship love, they will respect your decision if you choose not to.
There are loads of other things you can do instead of clubbing here, so don't worry about it too much.
I hope this helps :smile:

Vyomika

Hi !

Im a second year Chemical Engineering student from Lancaster Univeristy .I can see that Vyomika and Georgia has given some really good points on uni life .Just thought I'll pop in and try to anwer your course specific question .I do have some friends completing their Biomedical Science degree so hopefully you'll find my input helpful .The course itself is very thorough and prepares you for the clinical /biomedicine industry .In your first year ,you'll be taught a very wide range of modules that ensures you have a strong general understanding of the degree so that in your second year , the course is slightly more specified followed by third year where you'll be carrying out labs /clinical .The course is accredited which is really important and the uni encourages the application of placement in NHS or local medical practices .In terms of cons ,I cant really say I've heard of any except slight complaints here and there in terms of workload .However ,this is very individual dependant , as long as you have good self discipline and really plan your tasks well you shouldnt have to worry too much ,this goes the same for any other degree as well.I really hope this helps .If you do have any further question,I'll be happy to help or one of my colleagues will be able to help as well

Yamini
Lancaster Uni FST Student Ambassador

Hey Anon!

I study biochemistry at Lancaster, so share a lot of modules with Biomedical Science. The modules are really interesting and the lecturers each cover their own respective specialities so are passionate about what they teach and always willing to answer questions. The department is very good at communicating opportunities like events and internships.

The main difference I can see between the Biomedical Science degrees at Lancaster and Sheffield (assuming you mean Uni of) is that Lancaster's is accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS), which is part of the process of applying to becoming a Biomedical Scientist in the NHS. This means that the Lancaster degree has less optional modules (to allow it to meet the IBMS criteria) and is highly focused on human biology and laboratory techniques, whereas Sheffield seems to offer a wider range of modules but you would be required to complete catch-up modules to become a biomedical scientist.

Which university you choose really depends on what your future career plans are and which set of modules are more appealing to you. Despite the Lancaster degree being tailored for entry into the Biomedical Science career path, the range of modules and the high focus for laboratory-based teaching allows you to use this degree to enter other scientific careers as well. I'd recommend reading through the modules of both degrees.

It might be useful to note that if the more rigid course structure of Biomedical Science at Lancaster is less appealing to you, and you have no interest in becoming a Biomedical Scientist in the NHS, you could consider alternative courses such as Biomedicine at Lancaster. Quite often if you email the admissions team they are flexible with allowing applicants to switch which degree they are applying for, even after receiving an offer, as there is overlap in content. Biomedical Science and Biomedicine share a common first year, so there may potentially be a chance to switch during first year.

Biomedical Science - https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/biomedical-science-bsc-hons-b990/#course-entry
Biomedicine - https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/biomedicine-bsc-hons-c701/#structure

Lancaster does have a decent nightlife, with several nightclubs and plenty of pubs, but I've never felt any pressure to go out as there's so many other things to do with friends. I like to go out to cafes and restaurants with friends (I went to get sushi with my course mates before the end of term) or go to the cinema. A lot of my free time is just spent hanging out chatting, my flat spent most evenings watching the last season of love island together for a laugh!

If you have any questions about studying a bioscience at Lancaster, please let me know!
Rebecca :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending