The Student Room Group

not getting employed

I have applied to around 30 jobs but have only had 2 interviews, so is there some sort of cv checking service on here? It seems like there was one but it's private now
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by clusterhug02
I have applied to around 30 jobs but have only had 2 interviews, so is there some sort of cv checking service on here? It seems like there was one but it's private now

Hi!

Do you study at a university? If you do, you should contact the Career and Employability Team of your university who can help you in checking your CV.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Meheraj
Hi!

Do you study at a university? If you do, you contact the Career and Employability Team of your university who can help you in checking your CV.

Hi! I do not study at a university but thank you anyway :smile:
Hi! I do not study at a university but thank you anyway :smile:

You're welcome! :smile:
Hi. I don't know about a CV checking service on here but thought I might be able to offer some general advice.

Sorry it's taking you a while to find a job. I know it can be demoralising but try to keep your head up. It's likely that there's some small things you can change to help get you more interviews and opportunities to find a job.

- Have you tried having a look at the advice on the National Career Services website?
I believe there's also the option to arrange a call with them too to talk through your options and things you can do to make yourself more appealing to employers.

- Are you asking for feedback from your applications? You might not always get any (especially if you haven't made it to interview) but it's always worth asking as there might be some common themes that you can work on.

- Check out your local services. If you're in the UK, sometimes the local citizens advice bureau or job centre can give you advice or point you in the right direction. There might be other local charities or organisations helping people into work locally too.

- Are you making sure you tailor your CVS and applications to the jobs and job descriptions you're applying for? Specifically mentioning the skills etc. asked for? It's an unfortunate thing, but for lots of jobs, the first round of sifting isn't done by a human, but by an algorithm that looks through your application for terms which match the experience and skills asked for in the job description. This can help you get through the first step. Once in front of a human, the recruiter will be looking to see that you've done your research and know the role you're applying for, so make sure you show that in your applications as well.

- Do you have a trusted friend or family member who could look over your CV and applications with you to give you a different perspective and suggest where you might improve it? And who you could practice interviewing with?

- Do you have some gaps in skills or experience? (Or have you not highlighted the skills and experience you have well enough?) Could you build up some skills by doing some volunteering? Or a skills class at a local college?

Hope some of this helps. Good luck with the job hunt :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
National Careers Service (search on line) gave me help with my CV. Some jobs have a lot of applicants and even with a good CV you can be rejected for interview on a pretty intangible basis
Original post by HousesInCork
Hi. I don't know about a CV checking service on here but thought I might be able to offer some general advice.

Sorry it's taking you a while to find a job. I know it can be demoralising but try to keep your head up. It's likely that there's some small things you can change to help get you more interviews and opportunities to find a job.

- Have you tried having a look at the advice on the National Career Services website?
I believe there's also the option to arrange a call with them too to talk through your options and things you can do to make yourself more appealing to employers.

- Are you asking for feedback from your applications? You might not always get any (especially if you haven't made it to interview) but it's always worth asking as there might be some common themes that you can work on.

- Check out your local services. If you're in the UK, sometimes the local citizens advice bureau or job centre can give you advice or point you in the right direction. There might be other local charities or organisations helping people into work locally too.

- Are you making sure you tailor your CVS and applications to the jobs and job descriptions you're applying for? Specifically mentioning the skills etc. asked for? It's an unfortunate thing, but for lots of jobs, the first round of sifting isn't done by a human, but by an algorithm that looks through your application for terms which match the experience and skills asked for in the job description. This can help you get through the first step. Once in front of a human, the recruiter will be looking to see that you've done your research and know the role you're applying for, so make sure you show that in your applications as well.

- Do you have a trusted friend or family member who could look over your CV and applications with you to give you a different perspective and suggest where you might improve it? And who you could practice interviewing with?

- Do you have some gaps in skills or experience? (Or have you not highlighted the skills and experience you have well enough?) Could you build up some skills by doing some volunteering? Or a skills class at a local college?

Hope some of this helps. Good luck with the job hunt :smile:

Thank you so much! I will definitely take this all into consideration before applying for another job :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)

Its deffo worth asking for feedback from jobs- at least you know where you went wrong/what you can work on. Or it may just have been a case of you were good but there was someone better to do the job.
Reply 8
Hey, Hope you're well

You can do flexible/temp/casual jobs, these jobs enable you to work whoever you want to, whenever you'e free, or jus search up event jobs in your city and neighbouring areas
Indeed Flex
Constellation Staffing
CoopleFlex
Evolve Hospitality Recruitment
HAP Solutions(Lots of festival jobs)
Arc Hospitality Recruitment
Compass jobs/ Compass event jobs
Jobtoday.com
BrightSparks
Flair Events

Or sign up through Princes Trust, on the government website or e4s.co.uk, youngcapital.com if you sign up through them you'll also get a job quickly because its for people who are in a quick need for a job

If you can move to London you'll get a job in no time

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending