The Student Room Group

My struggles with pursuing hobby

Hi, I do have an account on here but feel more confident posting this anonymously,

I am on the autistic spectrum and are really passionate about trains. I really enjoy watching them go around curves in particular due to the amount of noise that can happen from the wheels. Something about those sounds are really appealing and soothing.

The only issue is some places I goto to watch trains are in public view, and people walk past / cars drive past and some people give me that look like "Why the hell you just stood there". I don't feel very confident and are quite insecure, and actually care a lot about what people think of me. I also feel like joe public think trainspotters are strange.

I get that my hobby is eccentric but it harms no-one and I just don't like some of the scornful looks I get, from teenagers in particular (Im a 20yr old male).

It just makes me feel really embarrassed just standing there waiting for the trains to come past cause people won't understand why I'm there and that it's my passion. I also tend to watch youtube videos on my phone with earphones in whilst waiting for the trains (usually self Improvement content), or do university work on my phone. I also don't feel confident telling passerbys what I am doing.

Should I just not care about what people think of me and just smile back at people (even if they give me weird looks)? Cause I tend to avoid eye contact and are socially awkward and when people give me scornful looks or jeer me it upsets me.

I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this if they understand. Thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I do have an account on here but feel more confident posting this anonymously,

I am on the autistic spectrum and are really passionate about trains. I really enjoy watching them go around curves in particular due to the amount of noise that can happen from the wheels. Something about those sounds are really appealing and soothing.

The only issue is some places I goto to watch trains are in public view, and people walk past / cars drive past and some people give me that look like "Why the hell you just stood there". I don't feel very confident and are quite insecure, and actually care a lot about what people think of me. I also feel like joe public think trainspotters are strange.

I get that my hobby is eccentric but it harms no-one and I just don't like some of the scornful looks I get, from teenagers in particular (Im a 20yr old male).

It just makes me feel really embarrassed just standing there waiting for the trains to come past cause people won't understand why I'm there and that it's my passion. I also tend to watch youtube videos on my phone with earphones in whilst waiting for the trains (usually self Improvement content), or do university work on my phone. I also don't feel confident telling passerbys what I am doing.

Should I just not care about what people think of me and just smile back at people (even if they give me weird looks)? Cause I tend to avoid eye contact and are socially awkward and when people give me scornful looks or jeer me it upsets me.

I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this if they understand. Thank you!

Absolutely- you will never see them again so what does it matter / it is great to have an Interest ina own thing - live your life - don’t worry about those “dick heads” - better than hiding in a room isn’t it please don’t lock yourself away. Check out this link with over 11k members and also there are many other societies you acn join and hopefully meet like minded people -

https://m.facebook.com/groups/UKTrains/
Also search on google a lot of societies and ways to contact with others for this hobby
The thing about people is that they are incredibly self absorbed. I guarantee you that 99% of people aren't thinking about you at all, even if they're looking at you. They're thinking about where they're going and what they're doing, and other stuff in their life... and they're probably also doing exactly what you're doing (worrying about what othet people think of them!) Just like you worry that they're judging you, they're probably wondering if you're judging them for some reason - maybe for their fashion sense, or their hair blowing in the wind, or the way they're walking, for example.

The 1% that might actually be curious about why you're standing there are extremely unlikely to actually care about what you're doing. Human curiosity is just that, curiosity. It's just like an itch that needs scratching. And in any case, as soon as you're out of sight, they'll be back to thinking about themselves again.

As soon as you truly understand just how self absorbed people are, you'll realise that you really don't have to feel so self conscious. Just do your trainspotting and enjoy it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending