The Student Room Group

Changing course

Hi - my daughter has applied to study classics and has one offer but is waiting for her preferred choice. She has excellent predicted grades and is hopeful that her preferred choice will be possible but has concerns that she would rather study classical studies rather than classics as she has been worrying about the heavier language side of the classics course being too much. My question is whether it is worth contacting the offer uni and asking if that offer could be transferred to Classical Studies and if so it is also worth contacting her preferred choice with the same question - or should she wait until she gets an offer and then ask? Is it worth doing? She doesn't want to have to defer a year and re- apply but is concerned she may have made the wrong decision but worries that if she contacts them without any offer at all they will simply decide not to offer any course as she has these concerns and obviously all uni applications are very competitive.

Any advice welcome. Thanks.
Original post by JoFo2005
Hi - my daughter has applied to study classics and has one offer but is waiting for her preferred choice. She has excellent predicted grades and is hopeful that her preferred choice will be possible but has concerns that she would rather study classical studies rather than classics as she has been worrying about the heavier language side of the classics course being too much. My question is whether it is worth contacting the offer uni and asking if that offer could be transferred to Classical Studies and if so it is also worth contacting her preferred choice with the same question - or should she wait until she gets an offer and then ask? Is it worth doing? She doesn't want to have to defer a year and re- apply but is concerned she may have made the wrong decision but worries that if she contacts them without any offer at all they will simply decide not to offer any course as she has these concerns and obviously all uni applications are very competitive.

Any advice welcome. Thanks.

I would say there is no harm in asking. The people who she would speak to would be admin and they wouldn't remove or reconsider her offer due to her concerns. It is better to confirm these things now and if anything, contacting them could mean they can advise her on what would be the best way to go about this. Otherwise, clearing is an option for later.
Agree, ask now if she is certain she wants to swap. If the answer is no, it won’t affect the outcome for the original course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending