The Student Room Group

Is a 61 a 2:1 in Oxford law mods

I just got my mods results back as a first year undergraduate. I got 67 in Roman and Criminal and a 61 in constitutional law. I passed all three but another law student told me that the boundaries for 2:1/2:2 change every year.... I thought it was just 60-69 is a 2:1 since all of our tutors use that guideline...
Original post by Anonymous
I just got my mods results back as a first year undergraduate. I got 67 in Roman and Criminal and a 61 in constitutional law. I passed all three but another law student told me that the boundaries for 2:1/2:2 change every year.... I thought it was just 60-69 is a 2:1 since all of our tutors use that guideline...

Well done on passing Mods!

Unless things have radically changed in the last 7 years or so since I graduated, you are correct in thinking that 60-69 is a 2:1. Check the student handbook or examiners reports.

Technically though, the classifications for Mods are Distinction, Pass, Pass in 1 or 2 subjects only and Fail. See the 2022 Hilary Term examiners report: https://www.law.ox.ac.uk/sites/default/files/2022-12/Mods%20Examiners%27%20Report%202022.pdf 2:1 is a classification for FHS, not Mods.

Also I am not aware of the classification criteria itself changing year on year - it was the same for all four years when I was a student. For Mods I believe it was 2 subjects 70 or above and 1 subject 60 or above, and for FHS it was 4 subjects 70 or above and 5 subjects 60 or above. Is that no longer the case?
Original post by mishieru07
Well done on passing Mods!

Unless things have radically changed in the last 7 years or so since I graduated, you are correct in thinking that 60-69 is a 2:1. Check the student handbook or examiners reports.

Technically though, the classifications for Mods are Distinction, Pass, Pass in 1 or 2 subjects only and Fail. See the 2022 Hilary Term examiners report: https://www.law.ox.ac.uk/sites/default/files/2022-12/Mods%20Examiners%27%20Report%202022.pdf 2:1 is a classification for FHS, not Mods.

Also I am not aware of the classification criteria itself changing year on year - it was the same for all four years when I was a student. For Mods I believe it was 2 subjects 70 or above and 1 subject 60 or above, and for FHS it was 4 subjects 70 or above and 5 subjects 60 or above. Is that no longer the case?

This is all correct, although a distinction can also be achieved where the examiners use their discretion despite a candidate not achieving two 70+ papers. This usually occurs where a candidate has two very strong papers (68/69) and one above 70, so that the overall mark is averaged at 70 or above.
Original post by Anonymous

What your friend might have meant is that the Roman 2.1 boundary is a 55 and due to the exam error this year marking might be different (I can't say with certainty that they changed the grade boundary though).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending