The Student Room Group

Research council funding & overseas fees

Hello,

To my understanding, research council funding only covers the home rate, so there must be fee shortfall for international applicants. To all the international students that have secured research council funding this year or in previous years, have you asked for a tuition fee waiver and succeeded?
Hi, did you secure a research council studentship? Heartiest congratulations on the offer. I guess you will need to check this out with your university/ department. Some research council consortiums (DTPs) specifically mention that the difference between the home and international tuition should not be covered by the student's personal finance. The department/ University/ supervisor must use their grants to support the student.

Also, if you haven't received an official offer letter from the research council already, you can wait for sometime and see if they offer some clarity on that issue. Usually the DTPs inform selected students on how the difference will be met (the university/ department may have decided to cover the difference for you) in the final offer letter/ email.

Try sending an email to your university, department, supervisor and DTP (copy all of them on to a single email). I hope this will get sorted out and you can start your PhD without any financial worries. All the very best !!
Reply 2
Original post by anthro_int5
Hi, did you secure a research council studentship? Heartiest congratulations on the offer. I guess you will need to check this out with your university/ department. Some research council consortiums (DTPs) specifically mention that the difference between the home and international tuition should not be covered by the student's personal finance. The department/ University/ supervisor must use their grants to support the student.

Also, if you haven't received an official offer letter from the research council already, you can wait for sometime and see if they offer some clarity on that issue. Usually the DTPs inform selected students on how the difference will be met (the university/ department may have decided to cover the difference for you) in the final offer letter/ email.

Try sending an email to your university, department, supervisor and DTP (copy all of them on to a single email). I hope this will get sorted out and you can start your PhD without any financial worries. All the very best !!

Hello, yes, I did secure one! Thank you so much for the advice. I guess I will wait for the official offer letter first. One additional question: I know every school is different, but typically who is responsible for this at the university level? (I know who I can contact at the departmental level)
Congratulations on the offer, this is brilliant news. Also, great question! I think it's the Doctoral School/ Admissions that is responsible for liaising with the DTP to facilitate the scholarship process. You might want to reach out to them too if you don't find any concrete information in the official letter. Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by anthro_int5
Congratulations on the offer, this is brilliant news. Also, great question! I think it's the Doctoral School/ Admissions that is responsible for liaising with the DTP to facilitate the scholarship process. You might want to reach out to them too if you don't find any concrete information in the official letter. Good luck!

Thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending