The Student Room Group

I'm in a toxic relationship and Im struggling to leave

Long story short me and my ex broke up last summer and I had a break down because she was kind of abuse but now I don’t know how to properly heal from this

My ex is getting worse, she punched me recently and has thrown **** at me. I'm now mentally exhausted and drained but I'm still struggling to leave her because she says she can work on it one minute then says she can't the next. I just want to heal but it's so hard because we live in the same uni accommodation but I can't keep getting abused but then when I'm away from her I kiss and I feel like sh*t. I just wanna heal and move on, I even rejected another girl a couple months ago who was nice but I'm always thinking about my ex and I know what she does is wrong but I hate myself because I don't feel like I'm being ‘manly’. I don't know what to do

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Long story short me and my ex broke up last summer and I had a break down because she was kind of abuse but now I don’t know how to properly heal from this

My ex is getting worse, she punched me recently and has thrown **** at me. I'm now mentally exhausted and drained but I'm still struggling to leave her because she says she can work on it one minute then says she can't the next. I just want to heal but it's so hard because we live in the same uni accommodation but I can't keep getting abused but then when I'm away from her I kiss and I feel like sh*t. I just wanna heal and move on, I even rejected another girl a couple months ago who was nice but I'm always thinking about my ex and I know what she does is wrong but I hate myself because I don't feel like I'm being ‘manly’. I don't know what to do

Leave your getting physically abused mate your a human being at the end of the day and you have feelings brother if she’s not prepared to listen to them and it’s getting as violent as this why haven’t you left it’s a no brainer she’s playing around with your mind leading to mind games get a grip and composure and be straightforward to her and say you don’t want nothing with her no more be honest speak from your heart and that’s it.
Original post by Mohammed_80
Leave man up and leave your getting physically abused mate your a human being at the end of the day and you have feelings brother if she’s not prepared to listen to them and it’s getting as violent as this why haven’t you left it’s a no brainer she’s playing around with your mind leading to mind games get a grip and composure and be straightforward to her and say you don’t want nothing with her no more be honest speak from your heart and that’s it.

Ok thanks for your message I appreciate it.
Original post by jay2013
You're right, you don't feel manly because you're not acting like a man. What self-respecting man would stand or sit there and allow a woman to punch him and throw stuff at him and he still doesn't leave the relationship? Be strong, be decisive, be a man about this.

So, what are you going to do?

You're right bro, thank-you.
Ok thanks for your message I appreciate it.

You got this my friend
This is one of the most horrific threads I've seen in TSR, a guy has been put through hell and back and he's just being slated and told he's embarrassing and should man up. I really don't care if I'm not allowed to say this but this thread is a literal textbook demonstration of why so many guys kill themselves nowadays...

OP, I'm so sorry you have had to go through this. You've clearly been given an incredibly difficult time by your ex and that is entirely her fault and there's no need to victim blame and let it ruin your confidence, even though that is what society wants you to do.

You clearly have a lot going for you in your life and a lot of potential, I really hope you are able to move past this.
Reply 6

One, that is very much so a toxic relationship. I am a girl, but I kinda understand this.I have no idea what your gender is so I won't assume. But they say they will change.. but they won't. They're afraid of what will happen to them when you're gone, because they are in this mental state that they are doing no wrong or that they deserve to be happy. But in truth you need to be happy. I'm not saying you have to listen to me but it's not good to stay in that much of a toxic relationship. Leave her. Find someone who makes you happy and doesn't hurt you. And forget about her. You are perfect and deserve so much better!! Don't hate yourself. Stand up for yourself. Also after you leave her, i recommend getting a counselor. Because things like this don't just heal.

When I was younger one of my family members were, not so friendly to me, and then on top of that I let him take advantage of me for years until I decided to stand up for myself and tell him no. That's what you need to do to her. I'm so sorry for my rant. I'll stop now
This is one of the most horrific threads I've seen in TSR, a guy has been put through hell and back and he's just being slated and told he's embarrassing and should man up. I really don't care if I'm not allowed to say this but this thread is a literal textbook demonstration of why so many guys kill themselves nowadays...

OP, I'm so sorry you have had to go through this. You've clearly been given an incredibly difficult time by your ex and that is entirely her fault and there's no need to victim blame and let it ruin your confidence, even though that is what society wants you to do.

You clearly have a lot going for you in your life and a lot of potential, I really hope you are able to move past this.

Thank you so much for your message and it's just hard but honestly thank you.
Ok thank you for your advice.

I'm guessing you're the one who reported my post? Even if you didn't everything in my post was correct. The OP even talked about not feeling manly. There really is so many sensitive people on TSR nowadays.
Where are your girl cousins, sisters?
Original post by V0ID
One, that is very much so a toxic relationship. I am a girl, but I kinda understand this.I have no idea what your gender is so I won't assume. But they say they will change.. but they won't. They're afraid of what will happen to them when you're gone, because they are in this mental state that they are doing no wrong or that they deserve to be happy. But in truth you need to be happy. I'm not saying you have to listen to me but it's not good to stay in that much of a toxic relationship. Leave her. Find someone who makes you happy and doesn't hurt you. And forget about her. You are perfect and deserve so much better!! Don't hate yourself. Stand up for yourself. Also after you leave her, i recommend getting a counselor. Because things like this don't just heal.

When I was younger one of my family members were, not so friendly to me, and then on top of that I let him take advantage of me for years until I decided to stand up for myself and tell him no. That's what you need to do to her. I'm so sorry for my rant. I'll stop now

Ok thank you for your message I appreciate it.
Original post by xox416
Where are your girl cousins, sisters?

They don't live local
Id suggest knocking her out but we need to be practical in a world that’s unforgiving to men.

Next time just turn on your video, sound record the incident and report her.
They don't live local

I'm sorry.
Don't let her harm you, think about the people that love you and how it would hurt them knowing someone is doing this to you.

The first stage of a break up feels awful because you are so use to the person being there in your life for so long. The change doesn't feel good but if you give it a chance and allow yourself go through it in the end it will be worth it. You will be happier like a weight has been lifted off your shoulders.

I wish the OP well, but the crisis so many young men have is one of masculinity and total loss of identity. I completely agree with the person who had their post censored by TSR. You can sympathise with someone and at the same time identify where their problem is and tell them so.

the real dishonesty is what you’ve done - you’ve treated the OP as if he were a woman, and the way that women talk to one another in these threads where they simply get told a bunch of meaningless platitudes and baseless validations. All this nonsense like “you’re a strong beautiful woman and you deserve better” well no - they don’t know any of that from a post on an internet forum. Just as you don’t know that the OP has anything going for him or that he has potential - you’re just blowing smoke at him whereas the other member (who was censored) has pointed out what is almost certainly the issue - that the girl doesn’t respect him for his lacking masculinity and it would be in his interest to assert himself and be done with her.
In TSR land, this gets resolved by sitting down in a vegan cafe and telling the girlfriend over a soy latte that she is a strong beautiful woman and perhaps too strong and too beautiful and too womanly for the OP because strength is toxic, beauty is subjective and women can have penises, so please can we end the relationship.
Original post by xox416
I'm sorry.
Don't let her harm you, think about the people that love you and how it would hurt them knowing someone is doing this to you.

The first stage of a break up feels awful because you are so use to the person being there in your life for so long. The change doesn't feel good but if you give it a chance and allow yourself go through it in the end it will be worth it. You will be happier like a weight has been lifted off your shoulders.

Reply 18

Yeah of course no problem! Although I feel your telling everyone that :biggrin:
Disregard everything you've read above because you are very much in the wrong place to seek advice if you're actually in an ABUSIVE relationship.

Gov.uk have an extensive list of organisations and practical advice that can help you (and your partner). Relationships are very complex and it will take more than a few paragraphs of text to actually help. It's easy to tell you to leave, but have you actually left if you're both essentially still living together? Does the University need to get involved? Mentally how are you coping? Do you have a support system? Speaking to a professional will enable you to get the help that you need, specific to you.

I am shocked and appalled that the mods for this site are deleting comments instead of sign posting you to organisations or charities dealing with domestic abuse, and the closing the thread immediately.

Edit: I did not intend to quote void. Just the OP.

Original post by V0ID

(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending