The Student Room Group

Changing courses

Hello everyone!!!

I'm a first-year student studying Fashion Buying and Brand Management but the thing is that I don't really enjoy the course much. Since I was able to speak I've always said I wanted to be a teacher. This dream carried all the way through primary school and some of secondary. But secondary school has a funny way of making things seem very scary. My school was a hand-full and it really put me off, especially because I had a hard time with my friendship group too.
But whenever I came up with a new dream-job, I've always fallen back to teaching and the idea of being a teacher. I really want to give back to schools and give the kids the fun and adventurous education I had in primary and to look out for the children and make it a second home.

I'm slightly worried/confused about my situation. I'm not going to continue my course at my university, and I was wondering if I could (through clearing) apply to a teaching course. Or the other thing I was wondering was because I've done a year at university will I be able to contact a university and could they out me through to the second year?
I'm really not sure how it all works. If anyone has advice or knows what I can do I would love to know and hear back!!!

Thank you so much, I hope you all have a lovely day :smile:
Hi,

I'm really sorry that you are not enjoying your course! If you think the course you’re studying isn’t quite right for you, it is possible to transfer onto a different course either at the same university, or to a course at a different university. The process of transferring varies by different institutions. If your current university offers a teaching course, I'd recommend speaking to your faculty/department office as they should be able to advise on the protocol of transferring courses or withdrawing.

To be considered by another university, you will need to complete a new application through UCAS. However, you do not need to wait until Clearing opens to be able to apply. UCAS Extra is open now until 30th June so you are free to apply and can make multiple course choices. However if you are looking at teaching courses that come with Qualified Teacher Status (QTS), it is likely you will need to start from Year 1 again, rather than transferring into Year 2. We still have vacancies on our Primary Education with QTS course for this September. More information on the entry requirements etc can be found on our website.

I hope this helps and wish you all the best with finding a course to suit your goal of becoming a teacher :smile:

Sharna - BGU Enquiries Team
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Bear07
Hello everyone!!!

I'm a first-year student studying Fashion Buying and Brand Management but the thing is that I don't really enjoy the course much. Since I was able to speak I've always said I wanted to be a teacher. This dream carried all the way through primary school and some of secondary. But secondary school has a funny way of making things seem very scary. My school was a hand-full and it really put me off, especially because I had a hard time with my friendship group too.
But whenever I came up with a new dream-job, I've always fallen back to teaching and the idea of being a teacher. I really want to give back to schools and give the kids the fun and adventurous education I had in primary and to look out for the children and make it a second home.

I'm slightly worried/confused about my situation. I'm not going to continue my course at my university, and I was wondering if I could (through clearing) apply to a teaching course. Or the other thing I was wondering was because I've done a year at university will I be able to contact a university and could they out me through to the second year?
I'm really not sure how it all works. If anyone has advice or knows what I can do I would love to know and hear back!!!

Thank you so much, I hope you all have a lovely day :smile:

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you are not enjoying your course! It sounds like you know what you are more suited for though. It may be possible to transfer courses at your current university if they offer a teaching degree, it may be worth speaking to the services at your university and discussing what your options are on this front.
If you want to apply to other universities, you will have to restart a new UCAS application however this may mean you will have to start from year 1 instead of transferring into year 2. While this is annoying, you will be among a mixture of students who took gap years, also dropped their current course or other situations so don’t worry about feeling like you’re starting again, you have to try things to know if they’re for you or not.

Hope it all works out,
Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending