The Student Room Group

London living cost

I have been offer a graduate job in London, with a salary of £31k and was wondering if that's doable for a life in the big city.

I don't have many expensive tastes but I would ideally lack to live alone, I don't like sharing. Furthermore, I would eat out occasionally and use public transport.

I have another offer, not in London, that pays less (£25k), not sure if that one would be better. I really like the London job, but don't want to sacrifice my quality of life.
(edited 1 year ago)
Where is the other offer?
Reply 2
Original post by Popo91
I have been offer a graduate job in London, with a salary of £31k and was wondering if that's doable for a life in the big city.

I don't have many expensive tastes but I would ideally lack to live alone, I don't like sharing. Furthermore, I would eat out occasionally and use public transport.

I have another offer, not in Newcastle, that pays less (£25k), not sure if that one would be better. I really like the London job, but don't want to sacrifice my quality of life.

You aren't going to afford to live alone in London on £31k nor Newcastle on £25k. That said, it'd be possible in Newcastle, it wouldn't in London.

Living on your own £1k+ of your net salary goes on council tax.
Reply 3
Original post by ajj2000
Where is the other offer?

Newcastle
Reply 4
Original post by Quady
You aren't going to afford to live alone in London on £31k nor Newcastle on £25k. That said, it'd be possible in Newcastle, it wouldn't in London.

Living on your own £1k+ of your net salary goes on council tax.

Around how much do you think is required?
Original post by Popo91

I have another offer, not in London, that pays less (£25k), not sure if that one would be better. I really like the London job, but don't want to sacrifice my quality of life.

It depends on your ambitions, local accomodation costs and your standard of living expectations.
Unless you get a relocation package that includes accomodation or are very lucky and able to find a budget studio or no frills 1 bedroom property, the majority of your income is likely to be eaten up paying London rent, bills and travel costs.
Reply 6
Original post by Popo91
Around how much do you think is required?

£30-35k in Newcastle.
£40-50k in London.
i think the minimum wage in london should be £60k :smile:

to feel more or less

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending