The Student Room Group

Divorced Parents - what do I do?

I'm trying to reapply for student finance for next year. My parents are divorced, and I grew up with my mother, so for the past two years I listed my mother's details and specified that my parents were divorced.

However, this time, the application form seems to want the contact details of BOTH of my parents, and does not give me any option to specify which parent I actually live with. Furthermore, there is no option to specify whether my parents are divorced.

I'm really scared. My father earns more than my mother and I would subsequently gain substantially less funding if they decided to assess my loan based on my father, even though I was raised by my mother, and it's not my like my father is made of money either. As it is, I already struggled financially with the higher maintenance loan amount, and that's not for lack of trying - I tried to find part-time work but it's really tough when you don't have previous work experience, I spend so much time applying for any work I could find any to get absolutely nothing.

What am I supposed to do now??
Original post by LukeS03
I'm trying to reapply for student finance for next year. My parents are divorced, and I grew up with my mother, so for the past two years I listed my mother's details and specified that my parents were divorced.

However, this time, the application form seems to want the contact details of BOTH of my parents, and does not give me any option to specify which parent I actually live with. Furthermore, there is no option to specify whether my parents are divorced.

I'm really scared. My father earns more than my mother and I would subsequently gain substantially less funding if they decided to assess my loan based on my father, even though I was raised by my mother, and it's not my like my father is made of money either. As it is, I already struggled financially with the higher maintenance loan amount, and that's not for lack of trying - I tried to find part-time work but it's really tough when you don't have previous work experience, I spend so much time applying for any work I could find any to get absolutely nothing.

What am I supposed to do now??

Hi there, if the application is asking for both of your parents this means you have indicated you live/have contact with both your parents. If you live with your mother and she has previously supported your application then we would only require your mothers details. If your mother has submitted her details and it is asking for your fathers information you would need to upload a cover letter advising you indicated both parents in error for the team to review. Once this has been reviewed the team will update this on your account. Thanks, Karen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending