The Student Room Group

christmas carol quote analysis

how would i analyse “like a child, but not so like a child as like an old man” for the ghost of christmas past?

and are there any other key quotes i should include for the ghost?
so for the quote you mentioned, the juxtaposition of “child” and “old man” represents how conflicted Scrooge is feeling as he’s being confronted with his past - something that would make anyone uncomfortable.

If you want to go deeper into it, the whole point of the ghost of christmas past is to show Scrooge how his past - especially as a young, isolated, lonely boy - affects the future. Maybe the juxtaposition of “child” and old man” is highlighting how the effects of Scrooge being abandoned as a child is the cause for him being such a misanthropic, rude, miserable, and callous old man

Also, there’s a quote “Crown of its head there sprung a bright clear jet of light” (you can just memories “crown of its head” and “bright clear jet of light”)
This quotes good at is light symbolises knowledge: the ghost of Christmas past is about to uncover a lot of things from scrooges past, like light shining in the darkness. This “light” is ultimately going to help scrooge to redeem himself, and become a better man! :smile:
Reply 2
thank you so much, that’s so helpful!!
Original post by ruby_23x
how would i analyse “like a child, but not so like a child as like an old man” for the ghost of christmas past?

and are there any other key quotes i should include for the ghost?

The quote "like a child, but not so like a child as like an old man" is a simile used to describe the Ghost of Christmas Past in Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol. This simile suggests that the Ghost of Christmas Past is a complex and enigmatic character who embodies both youthful innocence and elderly wisdom.

The use of the word "child" in this simile suggests that the Ghost of Christmas Past is playful and curious, with a childlike sense of wonder. This is further emphasized by the fact that the Ghost is described as "strange" and "like a child" in the same sentence. However, the use of the phrase "not so like a child" suggests that there is more to the Ghost than meets the eye. The phrase "as like an old man" implies that the Ghost possesses an air of wisdom and experience that belies his youthful appearance.

This simile is important because it sets up the Ghost of Christmas Past as a figure who embodies both the past and the future. As the Ghost takes Scrooge on a journey through his past, present, and future, the simile suggests that the Ghost is simultaneously both young and old, embodying both the innocence of the past and the wisdom of the future.

Overall, the simile "like a child, but not so like a child as like an old man" suggests that the Ghost of Christmas Past is a complex and multi-faceted character who embodies both the joys of childhood and the wisdom of old age. This complexity makes the Ghost a compelling character and an important part of the story of A Christmas Carol.

Other key quotes to consider for the Ghost of Christmas Past include:

"I am the Ghost of Christmas Past." This quote introduces the character and establishes his role in the narrative.

"Your reclamation, then. Take heed!" This quote shows that the Ghost of Christmas Past is not simply a nostalgic figure, but also has a purpose in helping Scrooge see the error of his ways.

"The school is not quite deserted. A solitary child, neglected by his friends, is left there still." This quote is particularly poignant, as it shows Scrooge his own childhood and the loneliness and isolation he experienced. It also demonstrates the Ghost of Christmas Past's power to evoke strong emotions in Scrooge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending