The Student Room Group

Student house room allocation

Would it be fair to ask my housemates if i could pick my bedroom first?

My reasoning is that I found the property, arranged the viewing and I've been the only one in contact with the landlord to discuss the contract, application process etc.

Aside from one of person who has been helping to look for properties, no one has helped and they've each attended either 1 or 2 of the countless viewings we have done.

It's been very stressful so I'm just wondering if it would be fair to pick my room first to make up for all the work?
Original post by buckaroo12

My reasoning is that I found the property, arranged the viewing and I've been the only one in contact with the landlord to discuss the contract, application process etc.

Aside from one of person who has been helping to look for properties, no one has helped and they've each attended either 1 or 2 of the countless viewings we have done.

It's been very stressful so I'm just wondering if it would be fair to pick my room first to make up for all the work?

um yes that makes a lot of sense, just make sure you tell them your reasoning
or move in before them so you get first pick and your reasoning can be that you were the first one there so you got to choose

Hey there @buckaroo12 !
This would be fair if you have put the majority of the work in, there's just always the chance that they won't agree with that. I've heard about people who haven't been able to agree on room allocation so have had to go for random allocation. It just depends what the people are like who you're living with. Just ask them what they think and if they don't agree straight away then explain your reasoning and make sure you have a backup room you'd like incase someone is completely set on the one you want.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

I was in the same position as you and I absolutely did this. Issues only really arise if the rooms are different prices or one is significantly better than others. In my house we all paid the same so that was fine and i got the biggest one. I know in some houses people often want the smaller room due to cost and that should maybe be a group discussion. A girl in my friends house needed the en suite as she had a medical issue but aside from all of that i think it is perfectly reasonable to ask to choose a room first.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending