The Student Room Group

Does living in dorms 1st year, then at home 2nd year, affect maintenance loan?

I currently live in London and have applied to all London unis. I have always wanted to experience living in university dorms so I plan to live in them the 1st year to see if its worth it or not. If not then I plan to move back into my parents home in the 2nd year. I was just wondering how this would affect my maintenance loan.

Do I have to apply for a different maintenance loan after the 1st year of dorms?
You get a reduced maintenance loan if you are living in your family home. Note you have to reapply for your student finance every year of your course with the details for the forthcoming year, so any changes will only apply to the year(s) in which they occur normally. So for second year you just reapply as normal but you would put that you are living in your parental home - and consequently they will assess you for the reduced maintenance loan.
Ah ok, I didn't know you had to reapply every year...
Thank you for clearing this up! :smile:

Original post by artful_lounger
You get a reduced maintenance loan if you are living in your family home. Note you have to reapply for your student finance every year of your course with the details for the forthcoming year, so any changes will only apply to the year(s) in which they occur normally. So for second year you just reapply as normal but you would put that you are living in your parental home - and consequently they will assess you for the reduced maintenance loan.
Original post by Dippy4Journalism
Ah ok, I didn't know you had to reapply every year...
Thank you for clearing this up! :smile:

Yes, the joys of SFE - you get to do it not just once, but repeatedly! You may also be asked to provide the same evidence each year running on...it gets a bit tedious.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending