The Student Room Group

are these a levels good for law at uni?

thinking of taking english lit, ancient history and law as a-levels, as well as an EPQ. will these be helpful for getting into a law uni course, providing i do well. i sit my GCSE's this year and am predicted 9 in both english and history, and i thoroughly enjoy these subjects so i think its a good pick?
They're fine. Law has no subject requirements so any traditionally academic subjects are suitable (such as all of yours). I would note though that A-level Law doesn't have much in common with the style of a law degree as I understand is more an A-level in socio-legal studies, rather than black letter law. So it's of no particular benefit over any other subject, if you would prefer a different subject or think you can do better in another subject.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
They're fine. Law has no subject requirements so any traditionally academic subjects are suitable (such as all of yours). I would note though that A-level Law doesn't have much in common with the style of a law degree as I understand is more an A-level in socio-legal studies, rather than black letter law. So it's of no particular benefit over any other subject, if you would prefer a different subject or think you can do better in another subject.

ahh okay thank you! i might consider politics instead then
Original post by evajess13
thinking of taking english lit, ancient history and law as a-levels, as well as an EPQ. will these be helpful for getting into a law uni course, providing i do well. i sit my GCSE's this year and am predicted 9 in both english and history, and i thoroughly enjoy these subjects so i think its a good pick?

try politics or econ instead of law. also, see if you can take modern history instead. it's more relevant, especially for your course
Reply 4
Original post by oprahwindfuryy
try politics or econ instead of law. also, see if you can take modern history instead. it's more relevant, especially for your course

modern history is available for me to take, but i find it considerably less interesting and therefore id probably get a worse grade. would it be a big problem on my application to have ancient instead of modern?
modern history is available for me to take, but i find it considerably less interesting and therefore id probably get a worse grade. would it be a big problem on my application to have ancient instead of modern?

it should be fine actually! history is essay-based so doing it in any form is great. i just suggested modern history because it has more links to politics, international relations and as a result, law.
Original post by oprahwindfuryy

I don't really think modern history is any more relevant than ancient history for law. Take whichever you prefer, the point of taking either is the transferable skills from doing analytical essay writing, not the subject matter - doesn't matter if the essays are about the Tudors, Cold War Russia, or the Peloponnesian war :tongue:

Heya!
Those subjects should be fine :h: Law doesn't generally have any specific entry requirements so you are free to pick the ones you enjoy. You could also search up some unis and their entry requirements using uniguide if it helps but generally only specific grades are needed.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Those subjects will be fine.
Law doesnt specify any particular subjects.
As long as you get the required grades then you shall be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest