The Student Room Group

psychology/biology a level choices/uni

i’m in year 11 going into year 12 in september. i’ve chosen biology, english lit & psychology for my a levels.
basically i really wanted to also study psychology at uni level and become a psychologist but i’ve heard it’s very hard. i’m wondering if it’s worth doing psychology at a level and uni or is it too difficult to get a job from it?
i also don’t know if my options are good or would he too hard, i’m good at english lit and biology at gcse level but i’m scared for the a level content.
Original post by ruby_23x
i’m in year 11 going into year 12 in september. i’ve chosen biology, english lit & psychology for my a levels.
basically i really wanted to also study psychology at uni level and become a psychologist but i’ve heard it’s very hard. i’m wondering if it’s worth doing psychology at a level and uni or is it too difficult to get a job from it?
i also don’t know if my options are good or would he too hard, i’m good at english lit and biology at gcse level but i’m scared for the a level content.

Hi! I’m in year 13, and study English Lit and Bio, so can answer any questions you have on those.

I don’t study psychology personally, but I know many people who do, and have applied for psych degrees, or closely related ones. I think it would be good to study as it’s quite a broad range you cover, I believe, but there’s probably better people on here to answer that one for you better than me.
Reply 2
Original post by butterfliesss
Hi! I’m in year 13, and study English Lit and Bio, so can answer any questions you have on those.

I don’t study psychology personally, but I know many people who do, and have applied for psych degrees, or closely related ones. I think it would be good to study as it’s quite a broad range you cover, I believe, but there’s probably better people on here to answer that one for you better than me.

thank you sm!! for biology & english lit, is the content a lot harder than gcse level? atm i enjoy both subjects but many people are telling me that them at A level are really hard and i’m scared i won’t get a good grade for them both.
Original post by ruby_23x
thank you sm!! for biology & english lit, is the content a lot harder than gcse level? atm i enjoy both subjects but many people are telling me that them at A level are really hard and i’m scared i won’t get a good grade for them both.

For me, I found the step up from GCSE to A level bio quite challenging initially, because there’s lots of content to get through, but once you find your feet, I found it was easier to navigate. The first year is definitely easier than the second, on my course spec (Edexcel) at least, where it gets a lot harder. There are crossovers into chem/physics at points, but only basic points really, nothing too challenging I haven’t found - so I wouldn’t worry about that aspect. With bio, I think the more you practice exam questions, and get to grips with what the question is asking, and the key words mark schemes are looking for, the easier it gets and your grade gets higher and higher.

In regard to English lit, I found the transition from GCSE to A Level a lot easier. There’s a lot to know, as you study 6 texts, but there’s the safety blanket of having 5 of them with you in the exam to fall back on (just not Shakespeare). What I found is that the people that who didn’t enjoy english at gcse that took it for a level because they found it easy struggle with it more, because it is a lot of reading and essay writing, so you have to be committed, but if you enjoy the subject it’s nice, especially as you find yourself with a lot of similar minded people, so can have really good discussions about the texts.

But I think the most important thing is that you pick the subjects you enjoy, because there’s nothing worse than being stuck doing a subject you hate for 2 years, as you just won’t have the motivation to stick it out and achieve the best you can. So if that’s bio and english for you, my best advice would be to brave it and do it, instead of taking an ‘easier’ a level you later end up regretting.

Hope this helps!
Reply 4
Original post by butterfliesss
For me, I found the step up from GCSE to A level bio quite challenging initially, because there’s lots of content to get through, but once you find your feet, I found it was easier to navigate. The first year is definitely easier than the second, on my course spec (Edexcel) at least, where it gets a lot harder. There are crossovers into chem/physics at points, but only basic points really, nothing too challenging I haven’t found - so I wouldn’t worry about that aspect. With bio, I think the more you practice exam questions, and get to grips with what the question is asking, and the key words mark schemes are looking for, the easier it gets and your grade gets higher and higher.

In regard to English lit, I found the transition from GCSE to A Level a lot easier. There’s a lot to know, as you study 6 texts, but there’s the safety blanket of having 5 of them with you in the exam to fall back on (just not Shakespeare). What I found is that the people that who didn’t enjoy english at gcse that took it for a level because they found it easy struggle with it more, because it is a lot of reading and essay writing, so you have to be committed, but if you enjoy the subject it’s nice, especially as you find yourself with a lot of similar minded people, so can have really good discussions about the texts.

But I think the most important thing is that you pick the subjects you enjoy, because there’s nothing worse than being stuck doing a subject you hate for 2 years, as you just won’t have the motivation to stick it out and achieve the best you can. So if that’s bio and english for you, my best advice would be to brave it and do it, instead of taking an ‘easier’ a level you later end up regretting.

Hope this helps!

omg honestly thank you so much, that really helps me i appreciate it !! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest