The Student Room Group

What GCSE should I take Business or History?

Hi, I'm in year 9 and currently picking my Gcse options here are the ones I'm definitely doing:
English Literature + Language
Higher Mathmatics
Triple Science (school choose for us in year 10)
MFL French (Compulsary Language)
Geograpghy (Compulsary Humanity)
Computer Science
And one other option

I have only one option left and I'm stuck between Business Studies or History. I am doing very well in history and enjoy the subject however many people (parents) have told me it's lots of memorising dates, facts ect and is very hard especially as I am taking "hard" academic subjects such as computer science which I basically have to learn a whole new language. History might be to much and over load me but my report says I'm doing very well and the teachers would think that I would be fantatic for it. Hisotry exam board: Edexcel

Business can complement the other options well but it is however percived as a soft, easy subject that is not respected by universities. I am interested in the subject and would take away some pressure from other subjects so I have more time to focus on the subjects I'm not great at. I don't now what I want to do as a job but I chose these options which go well together, cast a wide net and most likely will give me a high paying job/better education (oxford ect). Businessexam board: Edexcel. I really don't know what to chose so please may you give me some advise and help. 🙂👍
(edited 1 year ago)
I do both and business, for me, is brain-numbingly boring. Every lesson since year 9 (I'm in year 11 rn), i've almost fallen asleep. on the plus side, it's ridiculously easy - like, you could do 3/4 of the paper using common sense alone. history is indeed a whole lot harder, but definitely a lot more interesting (again, in my opinion). i'd advise taking whichever you'll think you enjoy more, besides, if you wanna take economics for a-level, you won't need business.

PS: don't worry about computing. i mean, i do OCR, and their tests are fairly straightforward - just needs a bit of memorising! the coding's the fun+easy bit.
Original post by Cyprus88
Hi, I'm in year 9 and currently picking my Gcse options here are the ones I'm definitely doing:
Higher Mathmatics
Computer Science
And one other option

I have only one option left and I'm stuck between Business Studies or History. I am doing very well in history and enjoy the subject however many people (parents) have told me it's lots of memorising dates, facts ect and is very hard especially as I am taking "hard" academic subjects such as computer science which I basically have to learn a whole new language. History might be to much and over load me but my report says I'm doing very well and the teachers would think that I would be fantatic for it. Hisotry exam board: Edexcel

Business can complement the other options well but it is however percived as a soft, easy subject that is not respected by universities. I am interested in the subject and would take away some pressure from other subjects so I have more time to focus on the subjects I'm not great at. I don't now what I want to do as a job but I chose these options which go well together, cast a wide net and most likely will give me a high paying job/better education (oxford ect). Businessexam board: Edexcel. I really don't know what to chose so please may you give me some advise and help. 🙂👍

I did the GCSE business, it is terrible. You don’t learn anything. All you do is design a product and talk about it, make up some random statistics about it and then do primary school level maths. Choose history, it is a great subject with many pathways wether you want to do a degree in it or not.
Reply 3
Original post by Vyshto Andeddu
I did the GCSE business, it is terrible. You don’t learn anything. All you do is design a product and talk about it, make up some random statistics about it and then do primary school level maths. Choose history, it is a great subject with many pathways wether you want to do a degree in it or not.

Thanks for the reply,
Could you tell me what exam board you did it with becuase at my school it is Edexcel which is 2 papers (paper 1:Investigating Small business and paper 2:Building a Business) and no course work. Are you referring too the actual lessons and not the exams or the exams? thanks
Reply 4
Original post by LightHades
I do both and business, for me, is brain-numbingly boring. Every lesson since year 9 (I'm in year 11 rn), i've almost fallen asleep. on the plus side, it's ridiculously easy - like, you could do 3/4 of the paper using common sense alone. history is indeed a whole lot harder, but definitely a lot more interesting (again, in my opinion). i'd advise taking whichever you'll think you enjoy more, besides, if you wanna take economics for a-level, you won't need business.

PS: don't worry about computing. i mean, i do OCR, and their tests are fairly straightforward - just needs a bit of memorising! the coding's the fun+easy bit.

Thanks for the encouagement and wise advise. It's a good thing that OCR is the exam board for computer scinece at my school as well. I basically just need to practise python more. I'm doing python as a skill for my bronze duke of edinburgh so killing 2 birds with 1 stone. thanks again.
Higher Mathmatics
Computer Science
And one other option

I am going through the same thing as you. I can't decide picking between History or business can anyone give us some advise and help please? thanks
Thanks for the reply,
Could you tell me what exam board you did it with becuase at my school it is Edexcel which is 2 papers (paper 1:Investigating Small business and paper 2:Building a Business) and no course work. Are you referring too the actual lessons and not the exams or the exams? thanks

I did my business GCSE with Edexcel. I am referring to the lessons.

Quick Reply

Latest