The Student Room Group

RE or Business GCSE?

Hi Everyone,

Not sure whether to pick RE or Business GCSE. I'm aiming at Computer Science at Cambridge. My other options will be Triple Science, History and Music (I am also self-studying Computer Science this year and will take the exam in May).

A bit of background on both:

RE - I enjoy this subject, and already have an 8 on the GCSE scale, so could be an easy 9 at GCSE. However, it's not that relevant to the industry I would like to go into.

Business - I have never studied this subject, but the topic of business itself really interests me. It's probably more relevant to the industry I would like to go into, and I also get relatively high grades in essay based subjects. However, I know that Oxbridge view Business as a "soft" subject and I wouldn't want to harm my application.

Based on this information, what should I pick?
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by EnigmaChess
Hi Everyone,

Not sure whether to pick RE or Business GCSE. I'm aiming at Computer Science at Cambridge. My other options will be Triple Science, History and Music (I am also self-studying Computer Science this year and will take the exam in May).

A bit of background on both:

RE - I enjoy this subject, and already have an 8 on the GCSE scale, so could be an easy 9 at GCSE. However, it's not that relevant to the industry I would like to go into.

Business - I have never studied this subject, but the topic of business itself really interests me. It's probably more relevant to the industry I would like to go into, and I also get relatively high grades in essay based subjects. However, I know that Oxbridge view Business as a "soft" subject and I wouldn't want to harm my application.

Based on this information, what should I pick?

tbh, given that its your GCSE, I don't think the subject matter much. Choose the one you'll probably get the highest grade in.
Reply 2
Original post by srichandmyneni
tbh, given that its your GCSE, I don't think the subject matter much. Choose the one you'll probably get the highest grade in.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure what my Business grade will be because I've never studied it, however.
Fair point. I didn't do business or RS so I can't help you on that. Maybe have a look at the spec to see what you'd be learning about.
Also, if you're interested in something you're probably going to want to revise it more so if you like business more, maybe that's the one. I don't think you'd struggle much on business. Like you said, it's not the hardest but I wouldn't consider it a "soft subject," especially at GCSE.

Quick Reply

Latest