The Student Room Group

Changing Course

Hi,

I've been studying my current course for a year, for which I have received all three terms of student finance, however I am now looking to change to a different degree. This would require starting from year 1 again in September and studying for 3 more years.

I understand that you can receive 3 years of funding plus 1 extra year under student finance, so normally this would be fine. However I applied for a different course in 2021, but dropped out of this before it had started so was able to cancel my student finance application and repay the full amount I was given.

In this case I was just wondering, does that first cancelled application count as 1 year of funding, meaning I have already used up 2 years and would only have 2 years left to fund my new degree, or will student finance still be able to cover me for another 3 years?

Thank you,
Olivia
Original post by livydavey03
Hi,

I've been studying my current course for a year, for which I have received all three terms of student finance, however I am now looking to change to a different degree. This would require starting from year 1 again in September and studying for 3 more years.

I understand that you can receive 3 years of funding plus 1 extra year under student finance, so normally this would be fine. However I applied for a different course in 2021, but dropped out of this before it had started so was able to cancel my student finance application and repay the full amount I was given.

In this case I was just wondering, does that first cancelled application count as 1 year of funding, meaning I have already used up 2 years and would only have 2 years left to fund my new degree, or will student finance still be able to cover me for another 3 years?

Thank you,
Olivia

Hi there,
The standard way we calculate funding is as follows:
- Students are entitled to funding for their course duration.
- We then award students an additional year of funding, should they need to repeat or change their course.
- We then take any previous study into consideration and this then gives a student their entitlement available for their course.
If there were mitigating circumstances as to why you didn't complete your previous course then you can apply for what is called Compelling Personal Reasons.
More information on this can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/going-back-to-uni-or-repeating-a-year

If you have studied a course and left this would count towards your previous study. If you are looking to have full funding for the course you would need to submit CPR evidence for the team to review. Thanks, Karen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending