The Student Room Group

GCSE retake

Hi, I am a yr 12 student who is now starting to search for unis to apply to for 2024. I know most unis require a grade 6 for English language GCSE, however I got a grade 5 and due to personal problems, I was unable to retake the English language GCSE in November 2022. I was thinking about maybe retaking in November this year, once I'm in yr 13, however I don't know if the grade will come back in time to apply for unis as I know that has to be done around January time. I am still debating whether or not if I should retake as I don't know if it is worth retaking if the grade won't come back in time and I know there are quite a few unis that will accept a grade 5, however, there are unis I would like to apply to that I can't because I did not meet the requirement of getting a 6. If anyone could help me with this that would be great thanks!
You can retake a GCSE at any time and show it as pending. A university will then make you an offer and make it condition eg AAA at A level plus grade 6 GCSE English language. You will get an offer but will only get in if you achieve he appropriate grade.
Reply 2
Original post by _unknown_123
Hi, I am a yr 12 student who is now starting to search for unis to apply to for 2024. I know most unis require a grade 6 for English language GCSE, however I got a grade 5 and due to personal problems, I was unable to retake the English language GCSE in November 2022. I was thinking about maybe retaking in November this year, once I'm in yr 13, however I don't know if the grade will come back in time to apply for unis as I know that has to be done around January time. I am still debating whether or not if I should retake as I don't know if it is worth retaking if the grade won't come back in time and I know there are quite a few unis that will accept a grade 5, however, there are unis I would like to apply to that I can't because I did not meet the requirement of getting a 6. If anyone could help me with this that would be great thanks!

Any idea what subject you will be doing at Uni, as it is the subject that will determine if you need a grade 6 for English language GCSE, not the uni itself. For example, taking a random example, at Warwick uni you need a 6 in English for Law, but just a 4 in English for Chemistry. It is worth checking if you have an ideal of what you will be doing.
Original post by lalexm
Any idea what subject you will be doing at Uni, as it is the subject that will determine if you need a grade 6 for English language GCSE, not the uni itself. For example, taking a random example, at Warwick uni you need a 6 in English for Law, but just a 4 in English for Chemistry. It is worth checking if you have an ideal of what you will be doing.

I was thinking of going into Pharmacology, and I get where you are coming from I know manchester uni takes a 4 in english language for what I want to do which is good as it's my top choice, but there's unis like KCL or UCL that I was taking an interest in that require a 6 (not sure about KCL) for english language. I just want to know if it's worth retaking my english language GCSE so I get the chance to apply to these unis, but would I get my final grade in time so I can apply to these unis if I were to retake it in November
I was thinking of going into Pharmacology, and I get where you are coming from I know manchester uni takes a 4 in english language for what I want to do which is good as it's my top choice, but there's unis like KCL or UCL that I was taking an interest in that require a 6 (not sure about KCL) for english language. I just want to know if it's worth retaking my english language GCSE so I get the chance to apply to these unis, but would I get my final grade in time so I can apply to these unis if I were to retake it in November

Just a word of warning top London universities are very competitive because they are over subscribed as lots want to be in London. I very much doubt many universities will require a 6 for Pharmacology.
Reply 5

Not sure about the details for when you will get the grade, but it you don't need it for you top choices, then I would say it is probably not worth retaking it and focus your time on your A-level instead, which will have a much bigger bearing on what uni you will get into. Unis are transparent with their requirements, so if they say you don't need it, you don't need it.
Original post by swanseajack1
Just a word of warning top London universities are very competitive because they are over subscribed as lots want to be in London. I very much doubt many universities will require a 6 for Pharmacology.

I have just checked Bath, Bristol, Liverpool, Manchester, Nottingham and Southampton. None of these require grade 6. It boils down to whether you want to London or not. If you dont then you wont need to resit.
I know most unis require a grade 6 for English language GCSE

No they don't - check each course page on each Uni website carefully.
And most Unis will accept a GCSE resit if you don't meet the specific grade requirement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending