The Student Room Group

Changing university course

Hi
I’m thinking about dropping out in a few weeks from my current course and reapplying for a new course in the same uni for September. Should I apply for the new course before or after dropping out from this one?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Sona9
Hi
I’m thinking about dropping out in a few weeks from my current course and reapplying for a new course in the same uni for September. Should I apply for the new course before or after dropping out from this one?

Hello @Sona9

I hope you're well. I think it would be worth talking to the head of your current course to get their advice on this, but I also think you should apply for this new course first before dropping out to be able to keep your options open.

Best of luck
Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador
Reply 2
The equal consideration deadline has well gone, so your first port of call needs to be a) your academic advisor.personal tutor and then b) the admissions team for the course that you fancy applying to. They might still accept your application, but it is better to check before diving in.
Talk to your course leader before making such decisions. You may not so easily be able to swap courses and if you drop out of your current course then you will be left with no course to go to in Sept.
An internal transfer is usually far less complicated than withdrawing and reapplying through UCAS.

Read your university intranet/student handbook to find out what is involved or talk to your university registry/student records team. They’ll usually know the rules and procedures better than an academic tutor who only deals with the situation once every year or two.
Also unless you expect to fail the year or have something else amazing to do then you are normally better off completing the year and getting a certHE.
Original post by Sona9
Hi

Hello,

Greetings! Hope you are doing well.

It's generally a good idea to apply for the new course before dropping out from your current course. This way, you will have a clearer idea of whether you have been accepted onto the new course before you make any decisions about leaving your current course.

If you wait until after you have dropped out to apply for the new course, you may risk being without a course for a period of time and potentially losing your place at the university altogether.

However, it's important to check with your university's admissions office to see what their specific policies and procedures are regarding this process. They may have specific guidelines or deadlines for changing courses, and it's important to follow these to ensure a smooth transition.

Warm regards,
Megha Sharma
Student Amabssador
MSc Business Analytics
Coventry University

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending