The Student Room Group

Cambridge and Edexcel IGCSE

Hi,
Does anyone know what the difference between Cambridge and Edexcel IGCSE's are? So if I had to change halfway from Edexcel to Cambridge, would it be too difficult, or are they nearly the same?
Reply 1
Original post by NotRightNow
Hi,
Does anyone know what the difference between Cambridge and Edexcel IGCSE's are? So if I had to change halfway from Edexcel to Cambridge, would it be too difficult, or are they nearly the same?

Well it's hard to say, because it really depends on the subject. I would recommend checking out the specifications for each (see their websites) and comparing (just the major topics). There will definitely be overlaps for most subjects, and it shouldn't be too hard to swap, especially given time. iGCSEs don't even differ overly to normal ones like AQA, for most you'll generally be fine. As mentioned though, if you're worried you can always check the specs. If you're doing your exams next year, or even this autumn, that would definitely be enough time to adjust to them. Hope that helps :smile:. Best of luck with your exams!

P.S. if you ever have any questions about iGCSEs, especially Edexcel, feel free to PM me, as I was home-schooled so know my way around them quite well.
Original post by {Moss}
Well it's hard to say, because it really depends on the subject. I would recommend checking out the specifications for each (see their websites) and comparing (just the major topics). There will definitely be overlaps for most subjects, and it shouldn't be too hard to swap, especially given time. iGCSEs don't even differ overly to normal ones like AQA, for most you'll generally be fine. As mentioned though, if you're worried you can always check the specs. If you're doing your exams next year, or even this autumn, that would definitely be enough time to adjust to them. Hope that helps :smile:. Best of luck with your exams!

P.S. if you ever have any questions about iGCSEs, especially Edexcel, feel free to PM me, as I was home-schooled so know my way around them quite well.

hey ill be doing my exams this summer. do u know how to do psychology edexcel 9 markers? or do u have any general tips for gcsses?
Original post by {Moss}

I think if I did change from Cambridge to Edexcel, I'll probably have at least a few months to get used to it, so as long as they aren't too different I'll hopefully be ok. I'll check the topics as well though.
About the Edexcel IGCSE's, did you take Computer science? I think it's the subject I'm struggling most with right now. Also if you know any websites or channels or things like that for triple science, that'd also be really helpful.
I think if I did change from Cambridge to Edexcel, I'll probably have at least a few months to get used to it, so as long as they aren't too different I'll hopefully be ok. I'll check the topics as well though.
About the Edexcel IGCSE's, did you take Computer science? I think it's the subject I'm struggling most with right now. Also if you know any websites or channels or things like that for triple science, that'd also be really helpful.

Edexcel Comp Sci has a practical programming paper that has to be done on a computer, whereas Cambridge is just two written papers.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Edexcel Comp Sci has a practical programming paper that has to be done on a computer, whereas Cambridge is just two written papers.

Oh ok. But for Cambridge are the two written papers still about programming or are the tests completely different? Because if it's written then it can't be about programming, right?
Oh ok. But for Cambridge are the two written papers still about programming or are the tests completely different? Because if it's written then it can't be about programming, right?

Screenshot 2023-04-20 144615.jpg
Reply 7

Yep, that's great. I took the iGCSE for a few months before switching to the Edexcel GCSE version, as they're so similar and some things changed. Which part of Comp Sci do you think you struggle more with, the theory or the programming? I think with regards to programming, it's something you really need to practice, by developing code for random questions. If you think you need to build from the overall concepts, you can always take an online course, e.g. from Codecademy. I also found CS50 for Python (a free online course from Harvard) really useful in learning general programming skills, that can be applied to your work. Edexcel (iGCSE and GCSE) were also really nice, as (Pink Mobile Phone stated this) there's an online assessment and a theory. That made it very nice to revise, and having an IDE meant it was easy to pick out any errors in your programming to Paper 2.
In regard to theory, Craig'n'Dave is a really useful youtube channel for computer science. Most of their videos (for Edexcel) will carry over to the iGCSE, if not all of it (the spec will come in useful to see what you need to know). They were most of my learning resources for my exams, and were a lifesaver haha. Note, too, that the Edexcel iGCSE and GCSE aren't that different, so any resources (e.g. revision books) can still be used, which might be useful for you. Mr Brown CS was also very useful. It's really a case of sort of cementing the knowledge into your brain.
Hope that helped with regards to Comp Sci, as always do let me know if there's anything else :smile:

With regard to the sciences, these are again designed for GCSEs, but you can always apply them to an iGCSE by checking the specs. Free Science Lessons and Cognito are really useful. If you're taking edexcel iGCSE for these, Save My Exams (just a link to Chemistry, all of the triple sciences are there) has a bank of papers, questions and revision notes which are extremely useful for learning the actual topics. If you're taking Cambridge International for the Sciences, see this.
For both CIE and Edexcel, see Science With Hazel , for CIE Biology alone see IGCSE Pro. For Edexcel iGCSE especially, but it does provide some summarising notes for CIE, Physics and Maths Tutor . It's a bit complicated to navigate, but say you want to get Detailed notes for Edexcel go to GCSE/iGCSE - Subject - examboard - topic - notes. Again, in comparing specifications you can interchange between resources.

I realise this is quite long haha, my apologies about that, but hopefully this provides some good info for you, and some good resources :biggrin:. Best of luck!
Original post by {Moss}
Yep, that's great. I took the iGCSE for a few months before switching to the Edexcel GCSE version, as they're so similar and some things changed. Which part of Comp Sci do you think you struggle more with, the theory or the programming? I think with regards to programming, it's something you really need to practice, by developing code for random questions. If you think you need to build from the overall concepts, you can always take an online course, e.g. from Codecademy. I also found CS50 for Python (a free online course from Harvard) really useful in learning general programming skills, that can be applied to your work. Edexcel (iGCSE and GCSE) were also really nice, as (Pink Mobile Phone stated this) there's an online assessment and a theory. That made it very nice to revise, and having an IDE meant it was easy to pick out any errors in your programming to Paper 2.
In regard to theory, Craig'n'Dave is a really useful youtube channel for computer science. Most of their videos (for Edexcel) will carry over to the iGCSE, if not all of it (the spec will come in useful to see what you need to know). They were most of my learning resources for my exams, and were a lifesaver haha. Note, too, that the Edexcel iGCSE and GCSE aren't that different, so any resources (e.g. revision books) can still be used, which might be useful for you. Mr Brown CS was also very useful. It's really a case of sort of cementing the knowledge into your brain.
Hope that helped with regards to Comp Sci, as always do let me know if there's anything else :smile:

With regard to the sciences, these are again designed for GCSEs, but you can always apply them to an iGCSE by checking the specs. Free Science Lessons and Cognito are really useful. If you're taking edexcel iGCSE for these, Save My Exams (just a link to Chemistry, all of the triple sciences are there) has a bank of papers, questions and revision notes which are extremely useful for learning the actual topics. If you're taking Cambridge International for the Sciences, see this.
For both CIE and Edexcel, see Science With Hazel , for CIE Biology alone see IGCSE Pro. For Edexcel iGCSE especially, but it does provide some summarising notes for CIE, Physics and Maths Tutor . It's a bit complicated to navigate, but say you want to get Detailed notes for Edexcel go to GCSE/iGCSE - Subject - examboard - topic - notes. Again, in comparing specifications you can interchange between resources.

I realise this is quite long haha, my apologies about that, but hopefully this provides some good info for you, and some good resources :biggrin:. Best of luck!

Ok thank you. The computer science links especially were really helpful :smile:.

I think I'm fine with most of the theory but the I think programing is hard. About the cs Edexcel iGCSE test in general though, if out of the 6 main topics I'm fine with most of 'problem solving', 'data' and 'communication & the internet' but struggle with 'programming' and 'computers', will I still be able to get good marks?
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Screenshot 2023-04-20 144615.jpg

Ok thank you :smile:
Just to be sure because it keeps saying June 2019 and I don't know if that counts for 2023, if the other paper overview was for Cambridge then this is the one for Edexcel? I got the topics from the same textbook because I couldn't find anything else.
Paper overview
Paper 1: Principles of Computer Science *Paper code 4CP0/01
Externally assessed
Availability: June
First assessment: June 2019
50% of the total
International GCSE
Content summary
This paper will primarily assess knowledge and understanding of the basic principles of
computer science, including some coverage of how these principles are applied when
solving problems that relate to a particular situation.
This paper will assess all topics.
Understanding of what algorithms are, what they are used for and how they work;
ability to interpret, amend and create algorithms.
Understanding the requirements for writing program code.
Understanding how to develop program code and constructs, data types, structures,
input/output, operators and subprograms.
Understanding of binary representation, data representation, data storage and
compression, and encryption.
Understanding of components of computer systems; ability to construct truth tables,
produce logic statements and read and interpret pseudocode.
Understanding of computer networks, the internet and the world wide web.
Awareness of emerging trends in computing technologies, the impact of computing on
individuals, society and the environment, including ethical, legal and ownership issues.
Assessment
Assessment is through a 2-hour examination paper set and marked by Pearson.
The paper consists of multiple-choice, short open-response, open-response and
extended open-response answer questions.
The total number of marks available for the examination paper is 80.
All questions are mandatory.
Pearson Edexcel International GCSE in Computer Science Specification
Issue 1 November 2016 © Pearson Education Limited 2016
Paper 2: Application of Computational Thinking *Paper code 4CP0/02
Externally assessed
50% of the total
International GCSE
Content summary
This paper will primarily assess the practical application of computational thinking, whereby
learners will create, use and adapt existing algorithms to solve problems in a particular
situation. This paper will also test students’ knowledge and understanding of the topics.
This paper will draw on:
understanding of what algorithms are, what they are used for and how they work;
ability to interpret, amend and create algorithms
developing and testing program code and constructs, data types, structures,
input/output, operators and subprograms
connecting and using data sources when developing program code
understanding of binary representation, data representation, data storage and
compression, and encryption
ability to construct truth tables, produce logic statements and read and interpret
pseudocode.
Assessment
Assessment is through a 3-hour practical examination, set and marked by Pearson.
A choice of three programming languages will be available (Python, C# or Java).
The paper consists of multiple-choice, short open-response, open-response, extendedopen response answer and task-based questions.
The task-based questions will be carried out using a computer system under
supervision. All other questions requiring a written response will be answered in the
paper.
A pseudocode reference document will be available for learners to reference during the assessment.
Ok thank you :smile:
Just to be sure because it keeps saying June 2019 and I don't know if that counts for 2023, if the other paper overview was for Cambridge then this is the one for Edexcel? I got the topics from the same textbook because I couldn't find anything else.
Paper overview
Paper 1: Principles of Computer Science *Paper code 4CP0/01
Externally assessed
50% of the total
International GCSE
Content summary
This paper will primarily assess knowledge and understanding of the basic principles of
computer science, including some coverage of how these principles are applied when
solving problems that relate to a particular situation.
This paper will assess all topics.
Understanding of what algorithms are, what they are used for and how they work;
ability to interpret, amend and create algorithms.
Understanding the requirements for writing program code.
Understanding how to develop program code and constructs, data types, structures,
input/output, operators and subprograms.
Understanding of binary representation, data representation, data storage and
compression, and encryption.
Understanding of components of computer systems; ability to construct truth tables,
produce logic statements and read and interpret pseudocode.
Understanding of computer networks, the internet and the world wide web.
Awareness of emerging trends in computing technologies, the impact of computing on
individuals, society and the environment, including ethical, legal and ownership issues.
Assessment
Assessment is through a 2-hour examination paper set and marked by Pearson.
The paper consists of multiple-choice, short open-response, open-response and
extended open-response answer questions.
Pearson Edexcel International GCSE in Computer Science Specification
Issue 1 November 2016 © Pearson Education Limited 2016
Paper 2: Application of Computational Thinking *Paper code 4CP0/02
Externally assessed
50% of the total
International GCSE
Content summary
This paper will primarily assess the practical application of computational thinking, whereby
learners will create, use and adapt existing algorithms to solve problems in a particular
situation. This paper will also test students’ knowledge and understanding of the topics.
This paper will draw on:
understanding of what algorithms are, what they are used for and how they work;
ability to interpret, amend and create algorithms
developing and testing program code and constructs, data types, structures,
input/output, operators and subprograms
connecting and using data sources when developing program code
understanding of binary representation, data representation, data storage and
compression, and encryption
ability to construct truth tables, produce logic statements and read and interpret
pseudocode.
Assessment
Assessment is through a 3-hour practical examination, set and marked by Pearson.
A choice of three programming languages will be available (Python, C# or Java).
The paper consists of multiple-choice, short open-response, open-response, extendedopen response answer and task-based questions.
The task-based questions will be carried out using a computer system under
supervision. All other questions requiring a written response will be answered in the
paper.
A pseudocode reference document will be available for learners to reference during the assessment.

Edexcel first launched their current spec in 2017, and first exams were in 2019. So yes that's correct, specifications don't change all that often. A spec can last for quite a few years before they update it.

Cambridge changed their spec very recently - first exams for their new spec is this summer.
Ok thank you. The computer science links especially were really helpful :smile:.

I think I'm fine with most of the theory but the I think programing is hard. About the cs Edexcel iGCSE test in general though, if out of the 6 main topics I'm fine with most of 'problem solving', 'data' and 'communication & the internet' but struggle with 'programming' and 'computers', will I still be able to get good marks?

Well each paper is worth 50% of the marks, so 80 marks each. Say you got 70/80 in the theory and then 50/80 you could still get a 7 (which I believe is a good grade, equivalent to an A).

However, paper two does still have theory based questions, like multiple choice, short responses etc. That enables you to get a good few marks in. There's also pseudocode and trace tables and logic tables that you can be asked about to gain marks.

Even if you feel unsure on programming questions, you can still get quite a few marks from just attempting: e.g. I saw a question the other day that was 15 marks, and 5 of those marks were gained by just creating a couple variables, getting a couple of inputs and having a loop - all things that you can memorise and apply, even if you don't answer the question.

So it's definitely possible to still get good grades, though I would definitely recommend practicing programming to build up on those marks. Hope that helps!

Quick Reply

Latest