The Student Room Group

Contraceptive?

Me and my girlfriend want to have unportected sex. What is the best option and choice of contraceptive for us and how do we get it (UK)
There are in any Uk city clinic totally anonymous and free of charge where you can get all the support and advice you need . From professional qualify young fantastic doctors.
Reply 2
Hello!

Well done for being proactive in your approach to safe sex.

In terms of 'unprotected' sex, do you mean not using a condom? Sex with a contraceptive pill, patch or ring is considered protected against pregnancy but not STDs. It would be best for you to both get a full sexual health screen before having any condom-less penetrative intercourse. There are capabilities for Pharmacies to provide long term oral contraceptives for those with baby carrying parts, these consultations can be done privately in person at the Pharmacy with a health questionnaire carried out, a discussion about safe sex and a review most likely booked to follow up in 3 months time. Oral contraceptives involve regular monitoring and often a review is required before issuing a longer term prescription. It's important to note that oral contraceptives don't agree with everyone and your girlfriend may experience some fairly intense side effects especially at the very beginning. It's important to note that contraception is free on the NHS.

If the oral contraceptive is not a route she wants to take, there are other options such as the coil, implant, patch and ring. The most important thing is that it is her body that will change with whatever route of contraception she decides on, should she decide to go on one at all so she will need to make the right decision for her.

Use this to find your local GUM Clinic to get the ball rolling - https://www.nhs.uk/service-search/find-a-sexual-health-clinic/

And remember, no method is 100% risk free.
Condom condom only condoms always . Don’t trust Mens ! Don’t take silly risks !
Original post by CarlaCD73
Condom condom only condoms always . Don’t trust Mens ! Don’t take silly risks !

Condoms have one of the highest failure rates when used as the sole mean of contraception. They also remove the sensitivity, cause interruption and can cause irritation. I completely agree that they are vital if engaging in casual sex with multiple partners, but I think they have very little place in a long term relationship. Takes away a lot of the intimacy.

I think if I was the OP I'd want to know if she wants to have control over her periods - in which case try the combined pill.

If you are forgetful and want something longer term then the implant or the coil. These are the most effective as you cannot forget to take them.

I'm not sure I see much application for patches, injections, rings, but each to their own.

Quick Reply

Latest