Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

University of Reading Pharmacy Foundation 2023

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
from doing the exams this year and passing, i don’t know if it’ll change but

you have a 3 hour chemistry exam in person, 45 min biology exam online (it’s multiple choice), an 1 hour maths exam (this is the pharmacy module one)
i found the chemistry one quite difficult and i wasn’t the only one who did, the maths was quite simple and if you did well in gcse maths then this one should be a breeze! the biology exam was also quite easy as it was also open book, but i don’t know if they will change this. the biology and chemistry ones are pretty much a level questions!

also these exams aren’t 100% of your whole module, the chemistry being 60%, biology 50% and the maths 50% overall.
the maths one is also very important for you progressing as you have to pass this at 40/100 in order for you to progress
also to note, you need to pass your chem and bio modules at 60% and have an average of 60% across all your modules in order to pass, which is quite high for a foundation year but it’s required due to the degree, don’t panic though im sure you’ll do fine!

were you allowed to use a calculator for your exams?
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
were you allowed to use a calculator for your exams?

yes i was
yes i was

thanks! I have a few more questions. What was your timetable like? How many days did you have to go in and at what times? Do have to attend every single lecture? Did you have to do a lot presentations in front of the class?
thanks! I have a few more questions. What was your timetable like? How many days did you have to go in and at what times? Do have to attend every single lecture? Did you have to do a lot presentations in front of the class?

i don’t know if it’ll change for this year but i had 2 two hour chemistry lectures and one 2 hour biology one, you’ll have a chemistry workshop that’ll you have to attend if you didn’t do chem a level but you do have to do the questions no matter what, you also have academic skills for about an hour and half a week and the pharmacy one changes but it’s usually a lecture and a workshop a week, i did have wednesdays off and sometimes fridays, you’re expected to attend every lecture.
you’ll have to do a presentation for bio but it’s not in front of the whole cohort it’s in front of about 20 people. you’ll also do one for academic skills but this is all done online so you’ll just have to speak in front of your group!
also for times, it’s usually 9-6, sometimes i would be in and out of lectures for this whole time and sometimes it would be 9-1, so you really just have to look at your timetable!
i wish you the best of luck! it is tough but just make sure you don’t miss any assignments as they really do count, they will let you resit if you don’t pass a module the first time but as long as you put in the work you’ll be able to pass :smile:
okay thanks :smile: how many people were in your whole class? did they all pass?
okay thanks :smile: how many people were in your whole class? did they all pass?

i’m really unsure as for the foundation year you’re not just with pharm students you’re also with anyone doing a science based subject next year, i would say a whole class in chemistry would be maybe 100 or so people, same with biology :smile: and from my course mates, i’m the only who passed the first time round, they’ve all resat and currently are waiting for their results :frown:
Original post by Randxmgirl
i’m really unsure as for the foundation year you’re not just with pharm students you’re also with anyone doing a science based subject next year, i would say a whole class in chemistry would be maybe 100 or so people, same with biology :smile: and from my course mates, i’m the only who passed the first time round, they’ve all resat and currently are waiting for their results :frown:

Wow I thought it was only pharmacy students.
Omg no way 😭 I really have to work hard then Which module did you find the hardest? How did you take notes/ revise for exams? Was there coursework as well?
Omg no way 😭 I really have to work hard then Which module did you find the hardest? How did you take notes/ revise for exams? Was there coursework as well?

Hey Anonymous!

I can't offer you much info on the course side of things as I don't study this, but seems like @Randxmgirl has that side of things under control (thank you!!) :smile:
Anyways, just wanted to wish you the best of luck starting your course, and if you have any questions about the university or anything, do let us know! I'm sure you will be absolutely fine - try not to panic too much about exams just yet; let yourself settle in, it's a lot to take in!

Skye :smile:
4th Year Speech and Language Therapy Student
Reply 28

you have a 3 hour chemistry exam in person, 45 min biology exam online (it’s multiple choice), an 1 hour maths exam (this is the pharmacy module one)
i found the chemistry one quite difficult and i wasn’t the only one who did, the maths was quite simple and if you did well in gcse maths then this one should be a breeze! the biology exam was also quite easy as it was also open book, but i don’t know if they will change this. the biology and chemistry ones are pretty much a level questions!

also these exams aren’t 100% of your whole module, the chemistry being 60%, biology 50% and the maths 50% overall.
the maths one is also very important for you progressing as you have to pass this at 40/100 in order for you to progress
also to note, you need to pass your chem and bio modules at 60% and have an average of 60% across all your modules in order to pass, which is quite high for a foundation year but it’s required due to the degree, don’t panic though im sure you’ll do fine!

not op but this information is soo helpful and gives me ease haha thank you
Original post by 5_ooo
not op but this information is soo helpful and gives me ease haha thank you

Are you also doing the foundation year?
Reply 30

How hard would this be for someone who didn't study a level bio or chem
How hard would this be for someone who didn't study a level bio or chem

it depends on your knowledge but i know someone who didn’t pass first attempt but then did on their second, i think you will struggle but they do cover the basic knowledge you need to understand everything:smile:
Reply 32
Original post by Pharmacy2023
Are you also doing the foundation year?

yes :-)

chemistry for sure, but that isn’t my strongest subject but i think most people struggle with that module the most. i did notes on my laptop of things i didn’t understand while the lecture was going on and then when the recording of the powerpoint went up i would go through that and add things for details! :smile: i also did exam questions for chem as they’re super similar to a level :smile:
yes there’s coursework, there’s a whole module on that (academic skills) but it’s not too difficult it’s just there to make sure you know how to do certain things you’re going to come across :smile:
Original post by Randxmgirl
chemistry for sure, but that isn’t my strongest subject but i think most people struggle with that module the most. i did notes on my laptop of things i didn’t understand while the lecture was going on and then when the recording of the powerpoint went up i would go through that and add things for details! :smile: i also did exam questions for chem as they’re super similar to a level :smile:
yes there’s coursework, there’s a whole module on that (academic skills) but it’s not too difficult it’s just there to make sure you know how to do certain things you’re going to come across :smile:

Did exams for all your modules happen at the end of the year?
Did exams for all your modules happen at the end of the year?

yes the big exams are at the end of the year around may-june time
On my timetable the bio lecture happens at two places at the same time. Does that mean I can go to any room?
On my timetable the bio lecture happens at two places at the same time. Does that mean I can go to any room?

this might be an error in the timetable, ask your lecturer about it first
this might be an error in the timetable, ask your lecturer about it first

but it comes up for every bio lecture i have
but it comes up for every bio lecture i have

just ask your lecturer because there might be a reason why it’s split and you might have to go to a specific place

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending