The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Is my chance for a PhD at Cambridge or Oxford low or good?

Hi, I actually plan to do a PhD in Oxford or Cambridge. I did my undergraduate at ETH in Switzerland in Architecture. Later I decided to change to Tourism Geography at University of Groningen in the Netherlands. I got a very good degree at University of Groningen. After that I decided to do a second Master at LSE in Data Science, but I only got a high passed. My experience at LSE was generally terrible. I had a very undiverse cohort and was the only person with another nationality and there were not a single british student in my cohort but instead of that 75% were Chinese and then 4 people from the USA and 2 people from Japan and 2 from South Korea. Also I had troubles with course selection. I will definitely say this had an influence on my performance, but after graduating from LSE, I moved to Australia and worked for 18 month in a company as a Data Analyst. I was the best worker there and as a thank my chef gave me a trip to French Polynesia. Besides that I speak several languages (German, French, Greek, Arabic, Spanish, Portuguese). I want to ask if my chances are low because I have only a high passed at my second degree or is the master degree in Groningen enough. I am a little bit afraid to apply (because of the only high passed at LSE) but I like the research areas of this two universities in Geography.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by maristela d
Hi, I actually plan to do a PhD in Oxford or Cambridge. I did my undergraduate at ETH in Switzerland in Architecture. Later I decided to change to Tourism Geography at University of Groningen in the Netherlands. I got a very good degree at University of Groningen. After that I decided to do a second Master at LSE in Data Science, but I only got a high passed. My experience at LSE was generally terrible, because I had a very undiverse cohort and was the only person with another nationality and there were not a single british student in my cohort but instead of that 75% were Chinese and then 4 people from the USA and 2 people from Japan and 2 from South Korea. Also I had troubles with course selection. I will definitely say this had an influence on my performance, but after graduating from LSE, I moved to Australia and worked for 18 month in a company as a Data Analyst. I was the best worker there and as a thank my chef gave me a trip to French Polynesia. Besides that I speak several languages (German, French, Greek, Arabic, Spanish, Portuguese). I want to ask if my chances are low because I have only a high passed at my second degree or is the master degree in Groningen enough. I am a little bit afraid to apply (because of the only high passed at LSE) but I like the research areas of this two universities in Geography.

Poor, in as much as you lead with a long story about academics and excuses. A strong PhD candidate will be worrying about their research proposal and where the best Supervisor and department for that research is located.

Maybe you have a strong research proposal, but that needs to be your lead story. No-one cares about your cohort at LSE (and a bit of research would have prepared you for exactly that demographic at LSE in most courses!).

If your research proposal leverages ETH and Groningen and just uses data science as a methodology, you might well get an offer. Funding is a different matter, you need to apply for anything and everything you can find.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Thank you for your honest and detailed answer. FYI, I wasn't looking for excuses, but I found my time at LSE really terrible. I already have a research project and with one of the supervisors I talked about it and he thought that my idea has potential and has a good contribution to society. But the only problem is, I didn't mention to the supervisor that I have a bad report card from LSE. I only mentioned the good points that I know many languages and have many international experiences. I know that no one is interested in my cohort at LSE and everyone I told this to did not find it normal, since Data Science is something that is learned in all countries of the world. And this LSE brags about diversity all the time and I didn't see anything about diversity. Because normally you think, like in the Netherlands and Switzerland, that the majority are the local students and then about a quarter to 40% are international students. So something like what happened to me at LSE is really a screw up, but everyone has a right to education clearly, but if you are then disadvantaged (was disadvantaged in course selection and in group work it was very troublesome) then it is not funny. I had to listen all the time from some arrogant fellow students that Asians are good at quantitative subjects and I am an idiot (but only 3 people say that). In general I had very good experience with Korean and American fellow students, but we couldn't get very close friends because everyone most hang out with their own nationality (in Groningen this was not the case). and in the group work, i had to work with two people who all the time spoke Chinese, which I couldn't understand. I saw that they really couldn't do anything and was surprised that they got better grades. I also found the way of teaching quite bad. there were very few courses compared to switzerland and the netherlands and especially the grading of one course also annoyed me. the only exciting course there was development studies. The problem is that I also had Data Science both in Groningen and ETH with good grades. But at LSE I had only low grades and I didn't know why. Because I also learned quite a lot. And because I worked for a very long time, I have enough money to finance all this. But you said, it is more poor than high?
Original post by threeportdrift
Poor, in as much as you lead with a long story about academics and excuses. A strong PhD candidate will be worrying about their research proposal and where the best Supervisor and department for that research is located.

Maybe you have a strong research proposal, but that needs to be your lead story. No-one cares about your cohort at LSE (and a bit of research would have prepared you for exactly that demographic at LSE in most courses!).

If your research proposal leverages ETH and Groningen and just uses data science as a methodology, you might well get an offer. Funding is a different matter, you need to apply for anything and everything you can find.
(edited 1 year ago)
Thank you for your honest and detailed answer. FYI, I wasn't looking for excuses, but I found my time at LSE really terrible. I already have a research project and with one of the supervisors I talked about it and he thought that my idea has potential and has a good contribution to society. But the only problem is, I didn't mention to the supervisor that I have a bad report card from LSE. I only mentioned the good points that I know many languages and have many international experiences. I know that no one is interested in my cohort at LSE and everyone I told this to did not find it normal, since Data Science is something that is learned in all countries of the world. And this LSE brags about diversity all the time and I didn't see anything about diversity. Because normally you think, like in the Netherlands and Switzerland, that the majority are the local students and then about a quarter to 40% are international students. So something like what happened to me at LSE is really a screw up, but everyone has a right to education clearly, but if you are then disadvantaged (was disadvantaged in course selection and in group work it was very troublesome) then it is not funny. I had to listen all the time from the arrogant fellow students that Asians are good at quantitative subjects and I am an idiot. and in the group work I saw that they really couldn't do anything and was surprised that they got better grades. I also found the way of teaching quite bad. there were very few courses compared to switzerland and the netherlands and especially the grading of one course also annoyed me. the only exciting course there was development studies. The problem is that I also had Data Science both in Groningen and ETH with good grades. But at LSE I had only low grades and I didn't know why. Because I also learned quite a lot. And because I worked for a very long time, I have enough money to finance all this. But you said, it is more poor than high?

I mean you are kind of proving the above persons' point, writing another paragraph on why LSE sucks and you hate everyone who was on your course with you (even going so far as to basically say you are smarter than all of them and they shouldn't have got high grades and you shouldn't have got low grades). Have you ever actually taken some time to reflect on your own failings at Imperial? It can't all be everyone else's fault, as you seem to think. Imperial is one of the top unis for data science in the world, so maybe you just couldn't rise up to the challenge of a more rigorous course. That doesn't bode well for a PhD at Oxford or Cambridge
I found my time at LSE really terrible. I wish I never went at LSE, because I didn't have the feeling of being in UK (I didn't meet any single British student). When my friend asked me how are the British people, I said to him, I don't know, because I couldn't get in touch with anyone who is local. Afterwards he laughed that you were in the UK but didn't meet a single local is really funny. And I never mentioned that I hate people in my cohort, I just found they were cold (but only three people were cold), but hate is really a too exaggerated word. And I have heard that LSE has more Nationalities than UN, but I only meet 5 nationalities. It would be better to meet people from all over the world.

I don't say that I am smarter than other, but I found working with Chinese people really annoying. They spoke all the time in Chinese during meetings, which is really rude. And every time when we had a meeting, they spoke with each other Chinese and excluded me and when I need help for a question, they said they didn't know. I found it later by myself, but then they said my code is too simple. And later wrote that I didn't do anything, despite that I did a lot. I was surprised that they had better grades, because every time in group works when I had a question, they said, they didn't know, despite that in group work every one get the same grade, so usually in group work you should help each other that they group project is good. That is what I and other have done in the Netherlands and Switzerland. They even didn't know what group work is.

But my chef in Australia was very happy with me, he gave me as a thank a trip to French Polynesia. My chef in Australia told me I am very talented and creative and friendly. And I worked as a Data Analyst there. And nobody told me that I am incompetent, just because I am not Asian. At LSE I heard all the time from the people in my cohort that I am not so smart as Asians. They told me every time that Asians are smarter, although everyone knows that all this is just stereotypes, because intelligence is independent of nationality. Is it okay to hear all the time this stereotypes from your fellow students? In my opinion not.

And what I also found annoying about my time at LSE, it couldn't get in touch with British students, despite that I was in UK, I was not able to find British students at LSE. And I really like the UK. For that reason I plan to come back for study again, but I want to go to a university which I also have the chance to get in touch with the locals. And I also want to go to Oxford or Cambridge because my cousin studied at Oxford and my father studied at Cambridge, so it has a personal meaning for me.

Original post by juicygcse
I mean you are kind of proving the above persons' point, writing another paragraph on why LSE sucks and you hate everyone who was on your course with you (even going so far as to basically say you are smarter than all of them and they shouldn't have got high grades and you shouldn't have got low grades). Have you ever actually taken some time to reflect on your own failings at Imperial? It can't all be everyone else's fault, as you seem to think. Imperial is one of the top unis for data science in the world, so maybe you just couldn't rise up to the challenge of a more rigorous course. That doesn't bode well for a PhD at Oxford or Cambridge
(edited 1 year ago)
I think you need to let go of your LSE experience.
You have finished the course, and it is now in the past.

When you apply for the PhD at Oxford, Cambridge (or anywhere else) the past experience you had at LSE with fellow students is irrelevant.

Don't dwell on the negative, focus on (any) positives of studying at LSE.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Matilda_Moo
I think you need to let go of your LSE experience.
You have finished the course, and it is now in the past.

When you apply for the PhD at Oxford, Cambridge (or anywhere else) the past experience you had at LSE with fellow students is irrelevant.

Don't dwell on the negative, focus on (any) positives of studying at LSE.

thank you very much. well said and you are absolutely right.
thank you very much. well said and you are absolutely right.

character development moment

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending