The Student Room Group

Grade 9 Student

How many hours does a Grade 9 student revise per subject? Like, on average, ahead of the real thing.
honestly not that much personally. mainly just cramming. i have no idea exactly how many hours i did, but i defo worked like kinda non stop in the two weeks leading up to exams, and at the sart of the exam period
Original post by pagetsuckstoes
honestly not that much personally. mainly just cramming. i have no idea exactly how many hours i did, but i defo worked like kinda non stop in the two weeks leading up to exams, and at the sart of the exam period

What did you end up getting? I haven't started till now, but I'm gonna sweat my ass off. I really want all 9s.
Original post by examcrammer156
What did you end up getting? I haven't started till now, but I'm gonna sweat my ass off. I really want all 9s.

i got 11 nines. how did u do in mocks? If you've been doing well in class for the last 2 years you don't have to do a ton of revision tbh
Does cramming actually work
Original post by pagetsuckstoes
i got 11 nines. how did u do in mocks? If you've been doing well in class for the last 2 years you don't have to do a ton of revision tbh

Wow - did you do much other work than that? I got:

Maths: 9
English language: 8
Bio: 8
Chem: 9
Physics: 9
German: 8
Geography: 9
RS: 8
History:8
Further Maths: 7

I only REALLY revised during the mock period itself.
Reply 6
I got all 9s as well and I will say effective revision is not about how many hours you spend on a subject. There were some I spent only two hours revising the night before, and I still got a 9. There were others I spent a week revising to get that 9.

You need to identify your weak topics in a subject and allocate more revision time to those topics. For the topics you already understand well, revise them lightly. Also, take breaks while revising. Concentration dwindles with time so a lot of people need a reset every half hour by taking a break for a few minutes. It's all about revising effectively.
Original post by DarylO
I got all 9s as well and I will say effective revision is not about how many hours you spend on a subject. There were some I spent only two hours revising the night before, and I still got a 9. There were others I spent a week revising to get that 9.

You need to identify your weak topics in a subject and allocate more revision time to those topics. For the topics you already understand well, revise them lightly. Also, take breaks while revising. Concentration dwindles with time so a lot of people need a reset every half hour by taking a break for a few minutes. It's all about revising effectively.

Yeah, that's true. I was more so asking the hours to generally understand what people did. And yes I'll have to take breaks, I think they're just as important as the studying itself sometimes. What subjects did you do?
Reply 8
Yeah, that's true. I was more so asking the hours to generally understand what people did. And yes I'll have to take breaks, I think they're just as important as the studying itself sometimes. What subjects did you do?

The hours varied for me. It just depended on how I felt that day. The goal was at least 2 hours of revision 6 days a week. There were days I did more than that, sometimes up to 8 hours if I felt like it. But the second I got tired or didn't feel like revising, I stopped for the day.

For the subjects, we had very rigid policies so you could only do 9. Of the 9 choices, English, Catering Craft (an elective subject), and Civic Education were compulsory. Then I chose Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Computer, and Geography.
Original post by DarylO
The hours varied for me. It just depended on how I felt that day. The goal was at least 2 hours of revision 6 days a week. There were days I did more than that, sometimes up to 8 hours if I felt like it. But the second I got tired or didn't feel like revising, I stopped for the day.

For the subjects, we had very rigid policies so you could only do 9. Of the 9 choices, English, Catering Craft (an elective subject), and Civic Education were compulsory. Then I chose Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Computer, and Geography.

How did you revise for geography, and when did you start revising?
How did you revise for geography, and when did you start revising?

I did a lot of past questions and went over my notes. That was the same for all my subjects. Closer to the exam, I spent most of the revision time going over the areas I struggled with. Also, I started focusing on maximising the marks I could get. Like if there was a topic I just couldn't wrap my head around, I binned it and put all that effort into revising the other topics. As long as I knew enough to give me a high chance of a 9, I didn't stress myself about the minor details.

As for time, I don't know when I started revising since I did my GCSEs a while ago but I've never really taken that into account. I always start whenever I can and make the best of it. I do tend to start later than my teachers would like (they always complain) but starting too early makes some folks lazy.
How many hours does a Grade 9 student revise per subject? Like, on average, ahead of the real thing.

Heya!
It's not only about the quantity but also about the quality of your revision :h: When doing past papers, do you go through the mark scheme and mark your answers and look at why you have lost some marks? Do you make flashcards? If it helps, Study Mind has lots of practice questions you can use!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest