The Student Room Group

Can I somehow still go to my insurance choice?

I’m an international student who has two similarly ranked universities as their firm and insurance option and the offer grade requirements are similar. Both universities stated that I’ll have to send them my final grades myself by July since I’m in the American curriculum and they don’t get my test results immediately. In case I change my mind later on, I was wondering if I could simply not send my results to my firm choice and only send it to my insurance choice so the firm choice rejects me and I am free to go to my insurance choice. Can I actually do something like this or is it dumb?
I've had students try to do this previously.

We just didn't make a decision and left both their offers to time out at the end of the cycle.

Are you just unsure which uni you want to attend, or have you changed your mind?
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
I've had students try to do this previously.

We just didn't make a decision and left both their offers to time out at the end of the cycle.

Are you just unsure which uni you want to attend, or have you changed your mind?

I am sure about the uni I want to attend but I am scared I may have second thoughts later on.

When you say you had students attempt to do this, do you mean that you used to work at a university admissions office and just rejected or ignored students who tried to do this? How could you tell that they were doing this?
Original post by yesiahh
I am sure about the uni I want to attend but I am scared I may have second thoughts later on.

When you say you had students attempt to do this, do you mean that you used to work at a university admissions office and just rejected or ignored students who tried to do this? How could you tell that they were doing this?

I've worked in undergrad admissions for many years. I am now in a postgrad role but still in admissions.

It's fairly obvious when a Firm offer holder is dawdling about sending their results. Some will even ask to be rejected and tell you they've missed their offer, not realising that we actually need evidence of their result, (if it's not one that UCAS communicates to us automatically). Again, they don't realise that the Firm uni always has first refusal, so if they don't accept/reject, then the Insurance choice can do nothing about it.

All quite silly and uncommon, but I have seen it.

Ultimately if your firm accepts you, (removing your insurance offer in the process), you can always ask your insurance uni if they'll accept you anyway. It's just that the original offer is removed by UCAS as a matter of course.

The important thing to ask yourself is - what is likely to change your mind between now and results day?
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
I've worked in undergrad admissions for many years. I am now in a postgrad role but still in admissions.

It's fairly obvious when a Firm offer holder is dawdling about sending their results. Some will even ask to be rejected and tell you they've missed their offer, not realising that we actually need evidence of their result, (if it's not one that UCAS communicates to us automatically). Again, they don't realise that the Firm uni always has first refusal, so if they don't accept/reject, then the Insurance choice can do nothing about it.

All quite silly and uncommon, but I have seen it.

Ultimately if your firm accepts you, (removing your insurance offer in the process), you can always ask your insurance uni if they'll accept you anyway. It's just that the original offer is removed by UCAS as a matter of course.

The important thing to ask yourself is - what is likely to change your mind between now and results day?

Oh seems like it’s not possible to try to trick universities in this way 😅

I don’t think I’m likely to change my opinion but I know my parents may have something to say about it later on since they’re so indecisive and they may try to get me to go to my insurance option.
Please don't try playing games with Unis. We only have limited patience - especially in August - and if you just ignore your Firm choice Uni you risk your entire application being 'declined by default' because you didnt send your results to them.

If you want to switch your F & I around either now or before July, start by phoning UCAS - but be very certain that really is what you want to do first,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending