The Student Room Group

Applying after my exams...

Hi all. I'm an international student taking the IB exams in November. To put it bluntly, my grades are not great. I'm from a competitive and rigorous school where failing papers isn't uncommon and occasionally even the norm, although we average an IB score of 37-39 out of 45 and I believe that with hard work I could land in that range.

I have two years of military service to complete before I can enrol in university. Because of my not-outstanding GPA, I don't think I would stand a strong chance of getting into my targeted universities should I apply with my predicted grades. As such, I intend to apply after I have received by IB exams while I am in my first year of military service.

I've noticed that most unis state their typical offer under the entry requirements of the course. Is that a good gauge for whether or not I have a viable chance of getting into that university with my IB score? Or is it different if you're applying with your final grade?

Cheers.
Original post by thursdays_son
Hi all. I'm an international student taking the IB exams in November. To put it bluntly, my grades are not great. I'm from a competitive and rigorous school where failing papers isn't uncommon and occasionally even the norm, although we average an IB score of 37-39 out of 45 and I believe that with hard work I could land in that range.

I have two years of military service to complete before I can enrol in university. Because of my not-outstanding GPA, I don't think I would stand a strong chance of getting into my targeted universities should I apply with my predicted grades. As such, I intend to apply after I have received by IB exams while I am in my first year of military service.

I've noticed that most unis state their typical offer under the entry requirements of the course. Is that a good gauge for whether or not I have a viable chance of getting into that university with my IB score? Or is it different if you're applying with your final grade?

Cheers.

The typical UK university offer is exactly that, it is what they expect candidates to achieve to be accepted onto the course. If you apply with grades that already meet or exceed that typical offer then, if they decide you are a suitable candidate, they will offer you an unconditional place.
(edited 1 year ago)
So your aiming for 2025 or 2026 entry ? You generally will apply from about September the year before you wan to go .you can start your application in May but can’t submit it until early September don’t panic about it though you don’t need to get it in until the end of January. Good luck in your IB and the army by the way.

Ifyku don’t I d me asking which country are you coming from that still has compulsory military service?
Original post by gdunne42
The typical UK university offer is exactly that, it is what they expect candidates to achieve to be accepted onto the course. If you apply with grades that already meet or exceed that typical offer then, if they decide you are a suitable candidate, they will offer you an unconditional place.

Alright, thanks for the insight, this clarifies it for me :smile:
Original post by jonathanemptage
So your aiming for 2025 or 2026 entry ? You generally will apply from about September the year before you wan to go .you can start your application in May but can’t submit it until early September don’t panic about it though you don’t need to get it in until the end of January. Good luck in your IB and the army by the way.

Ifyku don’t I d me asking which country are you coming from that still has compulsory military service?

Thanks for the well wishes, I'm aiming for 2026 entry. Would rather not say which country I'm from but it's not uncommon in Asia.
Original post by thursdays_son
Thanks for the well wishes, I'm aiming for 2026 entry. Would rather not say which country I'm from but it's not uncommon in Asia.

Yeah that’s fair I was only asking out of curiosity I don’t want to pry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending