The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Hermit's Croft or Mylnes Court?

I've got a dilemna. I need to put 5 choices down for my accommodation. I can't decide between Hermit's Croft and Mylnes Court for my 5th choice.

I think Mylnes court is certainly the nicer accommodation of the two (hermit's croft is still good however) and it has a common room which is a major thing I'm looking for (hermit's croft isn't). My two problems are that 1. It is mixed accommodation between under and postgraduates so I'm worried that it would be a very different atmosphere from just undergraduate accommodation and there'd be less things going on like parties etc. and I wouldn't make as many friends. 2. Apparently there are a lot of international students who often go home and I'm just worried the accom will feel empty sometimes.

Anybody have any advice on how to pick between the two? Hermit's croft seems decent (if a bit small) and really the major thing for me is that there's no common room. I'm finding this decision pretty difficult
IMO I would personally go Mylnes all the way. With Mylnes you're paying student prices for a central location (as central as you could possibly be!) and a beautiful historical building. It's not really an opportunity many people are blessed with nowadays.

Of course Mylnes is probably a lot busier, which is a pro or a con depending on how well you tolerate noise and enjoy nightlife.

Hermit's Croft also seems very nice, it's quite central, not too far from George Square and the location seems relatively quiet.. but for me it doesn't stand out as much as Mylnes :tongue: I did consider putting it as one of my 5 options as well but personally I prefer some of the other accommodation options
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by Nick-Urban
IMO I would personally go Mylnes all the way. With Mylnes you're paying student prices for a central location (as central as you could possibly be!) and a beautiful historical building. It's not really an opportunity many people are blessed with nowadays.

Of course Mylnes is probably a lot busier, which is a pro or a con depending on how well you tolerate noise and enjoy nightlife.

Hermit's Croft also seems very nice, it's quite central, not too far from George Square and the location seems relatively quiet.. but for me it doesn't stand out as much as Mylnes :tongue: I did consider putting it as one of my 5 options as well but personally I prefer some of the other accommodation options

Thanks for your reply! What are your thoughts about it being mixed postgrad vs undergrad? Would you be worried that there'd be less going on than in a full undergrad building?
Original post by Alexmazy
Thanks for your reply! What are your thoughts about it being mixed postgrad vs undergrad? Would you be worried that there'd be less going on than in a full undergrad building?

Personally it's not really a bother for me but perhaps I'm too easily satisfied. As long as people are nice enough and okay to live with I'm happy lol. For me, a good atmosphere and the availability of parties are a bonus ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I will say though, given the location, even if it's a little quieter there's still plenty of opportunities for nights out

Out of curiosity what are your other 4 choices?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending