The Student Room Group

Graduated with a First - but poor GCSE's. Can I get into Oxbridge?

So I graduated with a First Class in Sociology (MSc) from Kingston University.

I want to continue studying Sociology at Masters level.

But my A levels were 4 C's and 6 C's at GCSE level.

However, in my last year at uni I was diagnosed with Dyspraxia and I think I have ADHD too. I'm getting a ADHD test soon and expect that I'll be prescribed Ritalin which will only help.

In my Dyspraxia assessment the woman said that I likely underachieved at GCSE's and A-levels by being placed on Foundation papers because of my undiagnosed dyspraxia and only doing exams.

Would I have any chance of getting into Cambridge or Oxford? It asks for a 2:1 and I have a First but I don't want to waste my time or anyone else's if they're just gonna toss out my application?
Original post by Craig_93
So I graduated with a First Class in Sociology (MSc) from Kingston University.

I want to continue studying Sociology at Masters level.

But my A levels were 4 C's and 6 C's at GCSE level.

However, in my last year at uni I was diagnosed with Dyspraxia and I think I have ADHD too. I'm getting a ADHD test soon and expect that I'll be prescribed Ritalin which will only help.

In my Dyspraxia assessment the woman said that I likely underachieved at GCSE's and A-levels by being placed on Foundation papers because of my undiagnosed dyspraxia and only doing exams.

Would I have any chance of getting into Cambridge or Oxford? It asks for a 2:1 and I have a First but I don't want to waste my time or anyone else's if they're just gonna toss out my application?

I’ve herd Oxford are pretty harsh on GCSE for undergraduates but Cambridge will look more at recent qualifications so you might have a better chance there.
Hi I think they can be quite strict depending on course about gcses however I think that’s mostly for younger students and you already have a first class degree so I think it is definetly worth putting it in!
Reply 3
Thank you both for your help! Any more opinions are welcome.
Universities including Oxford are uninterested in your gcse results (and normally a levels also) one you have a degree. The only exception would be if there were some de-minimis requirement for matriculation.

Can you afford the fees?
Reply 5
Original post by Craig_93
Thank you both for your help! Any more opinions are welcome.

Hi, I'm an Oxford grad and I tutor students who are looking to apply, and I recently helped someone get in for a Master's in Psychology.

For Master's applicants, they really only look at your undergraduate qualifications, and having a 1st you'd be in a good position. If they have asked for A-levels and GCSEs on the application portal, then yes they will look at them, but you should just include a note stating the reasons for underperformance - so long as you can demonstrate a clear progression since, which you have since you have a 1st at university, then that is positive and still a strong application. From there the next thing they'd look at are your academic references, the content of your CV and any supporting documents to judge how you'd fair as a student at the university. Make sure you keep the funding amount that you will need in mind too since you don't want your application to be for nothing. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Original post by jonathanemptage
I’ve herd Oxford are pretty harsh on GCSE for undergraduates but Cambridge will look more at recent qualifications so you might have a better chance there.

This is false, Oxford are neither harsh nor lax, they will always look at the context in which any grades were achieved and make decisions accordingly, regardless of whether that is for an undergraduate student, masters student or otherwise. That doesn't mean you can get in with Cs, it just means that if you have had Cs in the past and have since improved and got A*/A or a 2.1/1st at university, then you would likely be able to apply for many courses available.
For postgraduate study they generally don't care about whatever you did before your degree (unless you're applying to graduate entry medicine or a similar second undergraduate degree). It's completely irrelevant by that point in your academic career and whatever you did in GCSE or A-level is not only going to be too general and/or out of date by that point, it's not a current reflection of your abilities. Not to mention it really has little in common with postgraduate study and research anyway, practically.

It's a non-issue.
Reply 7
Thank you all for your help!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending