The Student Room Group

Homesickness in third term

Hi,
I see a lot about homesickness at the beginning of uni, in first term, but has anyone got any experience or advice on homesickness that just hasn't gone away/has kind of got worse as the year's gone on? I had bad homesickness the first week at uni, like a lot of people, but then it seemed to get better. I guess because it was all new and exciting, and I was ready to leave home for a bit and get some independence. But now I've remembered how much I like home, I feel so lonely and I just miss my parents, house, town and the people in it. Any advice?
Thanks
Why not go back for a visit it's not a prison I went hone each weekend.
Hey,

I'm sorry to hear you are feeling homesick. It's completely normal to miss home I used to go home almost every other weekend. Is there a way you can visit or would this make things worse? I found it helped face timing my family, I also used to cook things that reminded me of home.

Hope the homesickness eases :smile:

Are you going home for the summer?

Rebecca York St John University Student Ambassador
Original post by fridacatlo
Hi,
I see a lot about homesickness at the beginning of uni, in first term, but has anyone got any experience or advice on homesickness that just hasn't gone away/has kind of got worse as the year's gone on? I had bad homesickness the first week at uni, like a lot of people, but then it seemed to get better. I guess because it was all new and exciting, and I was ready to leave home for a bit and get some independence. But now I've remembered how much I like home, I feel so lonely and I just miss my parents, house, town and the people in it. Any advice?
Thanks

Hi there Fridacatlo,

I am sorry to hear that your feeling this way at the moment. Do you talk to the people around you about how you are feeling, I can assure you that you are not alone in feeling this way. I also felt homesick at uni, I found it helpful keeping myself busy and keeping in touch through calls and facetimes to keep involved with home day to day life. I found that getting out into the fresh air is a great way to make yourself feel better and if you like to exercise that can be a great way for you to improve your mood.

I would recommend joining a club or society to meet new people or getting a part time job as along with your studies this will help keep you busy. If you find this is affecting your mental health I would advise contacting the wellbeing team at your uni for some support. They will be able to offer you support or can be just someone for you to talk to. If you can speak to your family members and arrange when to next go home this can give you something to look forward to.

Please remember it's perfectly okay to be feeling this way and there are lots of people here to support you.

I hope this helps :smile:
Best wishes,
Emily
Hi,
Thanks

Make some time to go back. In the meantime video call your family.
Hi,
Thanks

Hello @fridacatlo

I hope you're well. I completely understand how you're feeling to be honest, I used to feel like constantly in my first two years of uni I am now in fourth year and although I get the occasional feeling of missing home, I am mostly okay. I make sure to keep in contact with my family via video or phone call, I speak to my parents nearly every day. I make it a habit when I know I've got more than 4 days off at a time to go back home so I can catch up and see everyone. It also helps if you make plans with people, like your friends in your university town so you have extra things to do on your days off! I have found these have all helped me.

Kind regards,
Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador
Hi,
Thanks

Hi,

I am sorry to hear that you are feeling this way. However, I do know the feeling. I myself feel homesick at University, i just feel so alone sometimes and it makes it challenging for me. I go home every weekend to see my family because it helps me a lot mentally but I do understand that travel is not so easy for everyone if you are far away from home. But what I would suggest to you is to definitely keep in contact with your family, give them a call or message every day to see how they are, I do this every day and it makes everything so much better when I talk to them. My mum sends me a picture of our family dog to cheer me up!

Another way is maybe see if there are any societies that you could join to reach out to new people and make new friends, then you will have people to support you!. Or even just to get yourself out go for a walk, that's what I do every day. I even do my studying in different buildings on campus because I like to explore new places when I am at University.

Maybe talk to your University too, they maybe able to offer some advice. We at DMU have a great hub called Healthy DMU and I have got help from them with home sickness and feeling lonely. Maybe your University have something similar?

I hope this helps in some way, best wishes
-Tianna :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending