The Student Room Group

ESRC funding - Doest student pay difference between UKRI Home Tution fees & phd fees?

Hiya. I'm currently deciding between two PhD funding offers, both from the ESRC. Am a home student so not talking about international fees here.

When looking at one of the letters (LISS DTP), I noticed it states that "the award does not cover any fee differences between the UKRI Home Tuition Fee (£4,596 2022 - 23) and the Home Tuition Fee charged by your host institution." At this uni, the phd fees are £6,540. Am I personally expected to pay the near £2k difference here? Have been slightly thrown by this as I thought tuition fees were paid, as the website states "full-time students receive a stipend of £19,668 per annum, and their fees are paid" - but then this seems to suggest they aren't.

My other award letter (WRDTP) is less specific on this front, but the uni phd fees seem to match the UKRI ones. However, at this one, its a 1+3 award, where the MA fees are normally £10k, but the 'value' part of the letter only includes £4,596 for the fees. Again, would I be expected to make up the difference?

I appreciate this is prob a question for the DTPs themselves, however I obviously have a time limit on these decisions and while I've emailed both I've got automatic replies re them being v busy atm, so looking for any other info.
(edited 1 year ago)
I think it would be probably best for you to email the universities instead of the DTPs.

As an international AHRC applicant, one piece of information that I've repeatedly come across is that AHRC will only pay for home fees, regardless if the student has home or international status. But the university explicitly states that in case international students are awarded the studentship, they'll waive the difference between international and home (because of course having to pay for the difference would defeat the purpose of getting the scholarship). If I could guess, I would say this is probably what's going to happen in your case, but it's a decision most likely up to each university, so the best course of action would be to contact them.
I'm in exactly the same position as you OP, and came across this thread trying to find any other info / anyone else in the same situation.

From friends who have been on the LISS DTP in the past, they don't recall ever having to "top up" their fees to cover the difference between UKRI and Home fees, though they were on the programme 3-4 years ago. In any case, until it's in writing it's hard to make an informed decision.

I emailed both the LISS DTP and the university's admissions department over the weekend to ask for clarification, and will let you know if I get a response.
Reply 3
Original post by neat_beans
I'm in exactly the same position as you OP, and came across this thread trying to find any other info / anyone else in the same situation.

From friends who have been on the LISS DTP in the past, they don't recall ever having to "top up" their fees to cover the difference between UKRI and Home fees, though they were on the programme 3-4 years ago. In any case, until it's in writing it's hard to make an informed decision.

I emailed both the LISS DTP and the university's admissions department over the weekend to ask for clarification, and will let you know if I get a response.

Haha, glad to know I wasn't the only one thrown by the wording. Likewise, will let you know if I hear back also (though I only emailed yesterday so assume you'll hear first). I did find these two bits which suggest we don't cover the difference:

"A Home Student must not be expected to bear the cost of any shortfall in funding" https://www.ukri.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/UKRI-291020-guidance-to-training-grant-terms-and-conditions.pdf

"Any difference between the Research Council home fee payment level and what a RO charges for home fees should not be met by the student" https://www.ukri.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/ESRC-240123-PostgraduateFundingGuide-September2022.pdf
Original post by skarale
Haha, glad to know I wasn't the only one thrown by the wording. Likewise, will let you know if I hear back also (though I only emailed yesterday so assume you'll hear first). I did find these two bits which suggest we don't cover the difference:

"A Home Student must not be expected to bear the cost of any shortfall in funding" https://www.ukri.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/UKRI-291020-guidance-to-training-grant-terms-and-conditions.pdf

"Any difference between the Research Council home fee payment level and what a RO charges for home fees should not be met by the student" https://www.ukri.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/ESRC-240123-PostgraduateFundingGuide-September2022.pdf

I just heard back, and they confirmed that tuition fees are fully covered on LISS studentships. I'm a 1+3 offer holder so they confirmed it for both MSc and PhD years :smile: (I didn't get a revised offer letter or anything though)
Reply 5
Original post by neat_beans

Just got this response FYI - "LISS funded students will not be charged with KCL tuition fees but UKRI Tuition Fees. Therefore, your LISS studentship will fully cover the tuition fees."

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending