The Student Room Group

medicine and photography a-level?

I’m trying to pick my A - level options, I am for certain doing biology and chemistry but I want to do photography as my third with AS maths rather than maths a level.
For GCSE I’m predicted a 9 in both maths and photography so there isn’t a problem in terms of which I’d receive a higher grade in.
My question is though, if I take photography can I still go to medical school or should I definitely do maths?

UPDATE:
my parents sent my choices as photography chemistry and biology and AS maths
i had another look at med schools and none explicitly require maths, so again have i compromised my chances or is it alr that im not doing maths A level??
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
defo do maths, some unis take maths + chem as med subjects. imo, it's harder to get an A/A* in photography (guessing its like english, art, as in the way that it's sort of subjective, and not guaranteed that you'll get an A*) than in maths, since there's only one answer. Essentially, you're guaranteed a good grade. Plus a lot of other people are gonna do maths for med.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Imran M
defo do maths, some unis take maths + chem as med subjects. imo, it's harder to get an A/A* in photography (guessing its like english, art, as in the way that it's sort of subjective, and not guaranteed that you'll get an A*) than in maths, since there's only one answer. Essentially, you're guaranteed a good grade. Plus a lot of other people are gonna do maths for med.

thank you! is maths a level a lot harder than GCSE bc i’ve heard awful things 😭
Reply 3
I dont know. I got really into maths in year 11, so my transition was super super smooth, with me knowing 90% of content in the course. It requires a lot more flexibility in some of the questions than what the gcse required, however, it's still got A LOT of procedural work, like all the integration etc. I found mechanics rather difficult, but I warmed up to it quickly, its basically phyiscs but just the maths part, and more focused on that (eg A level physics wont need differentiation, but mechanics might). Stats is a giant pain, its a lot of rote memorisation though!

Of course, the difficulty depends on the amount if work you put in blah blah blah, but rn, you could look into doing SMC, IMC questions in your spare time, and self teaching the course (very specifically for fun/challenging yourself)- thats what i did in yr 11 for a challenge around this time 2 months ago, and it seems to have paid off. Btw, you can look at GCSE FM and FMSQ rn
Reply 4
When i first saw it, it looked BAD, with questions out of 10 marks, these wierd s's all over the place and asking to differentiate functions that took up the page. But its rly not that bad, especially if you're smart. Plus you'll have a year before your UCAS exams (youll have a deadline for med on october 16th 2024 i think)
Original post by Imran M
When i first saw it, it looked BAD, with questions out of 10 marks, these wierd s's all over the place and asking to differentiate functions that took up the page. But its rly not that bad, especially if you're smart. Plus you'll have a year before your UCAS exams (youll have a deadline for med on october 16th 2024 i think)

ty so so much for ur replies, they were very helpful! <3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending