The Student Room Group

LNAT preparation help

How do I prepare for the LNAT. Someone please help I have no clue what I am ment to do as it is not your ordinary exam.
Reply 1
Original post by alawuddin
How do I prepare for the LNAT. Someone please help I have no clue what I am meant to do as it is not your ordinary exam.

Hi, I did the LNAT this year (I got 29 which is ok, could have been better though) but I would recommend trying to find as many resources online as you can. If you want to pay for Arbitio, I thought it was helpful mostly in terms of the number of tests they offered but the official website, Law Mind and the lawyer portal all have free papers. Although its not LNAT, Pearson do recommend looking over LSAT practice papers and if you wanted to look at that, Khan Academy has a free official course which is very high quality.
In terms of the essay, I would make sure you keep an eye on the news (the essay question I answered was on something quite topical for the time) and like with the multiple choice, find as many papers as you can. Seeing model essays might help too to give you an idea of what to write.
Finally, in terms of timing the exam itself, I would recommend practicing the essay on an older keyboard (i.e. a windows computer keyboard rather than a laptop keyboard) because I really struggled with timing the essay question because I was typing much slower than normal!
Let me know if you have any other questions and good luck!
Hi! Not OP but I just wanted to ask whether the level of difficulty of the 2 sample papers on the official LNAT website is somewhat similar to the actual difficulty of the paper?

Original post by Emmie85
Hi, I did the LNAT this year (I got 29 which is ok, could have been better though) but I would recommend trying to find as many resources online as you can. If you want to pay for Arbitio, I thought it was helpful mostly in terms of the number of tests they offered but the official website, Law Mind and the lawyer portal all have free papers. Although its not LNAT, Pearson do recommend looking over LSAT practice papers and if you wanted to look at that, Khan Academy has a free official course which is very high quality.
In terms of the essay, I would make sure you keep an eye on the news (the essay question I answered was on something quite topical for the time) and like with the multiple choice, find as many papers as you can. Seeing model essays might help too to give you an idea of what to write.
Finally, in terms of timing the exam itself, I would recommend practicing the essay on an older keyboard (i.e. a windows computer keyboard rather than a laptop keyboard) because I really struggled with timing the essay question because I was typing much slower than normal!
Let me know if you have any other questions and good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by skedaddle~
Hi! Not OP but I just wanted to ask whether the level of difficulty of the 2 sample papers on the official LNAT website is somewhat similar to the actual difficulty of the paper?

I would say they were probably about the same level, I'd been using Arbito and they (as advertised) were definitely harder than the exam itself. Likewise, the law mind questions were much easier than any of the other resources I'd found (I'd been getting around 85-90% on their practice tests). On the day, I felt as it it was easier than I thought it was going to be, although that could have just been nerves telling me it was going to be awful.
Although I would bear in mind that everyone's experience of the LNAT is going to be different, someone I know found it really difficult but I found it easier than expected so it will inevitably be different for everyone (And as far as I'm aware, everyone gets slightly different questions).
In general, (and as difficult as it is), try not to panic! Once you're in the exam, take your time and try to enjoy it, particularly if you like debating and the LNAT essay structure because once I got into the swing of it, I actually quite liked the exam and writing the essay was somewhat fun and a few of the articles were on things I knew a bit about so that was good too (or maybe I'm just slightly weird).
I hope that helps!
Thank you so much!! The last para made me feel so much better, honestly. It seems so daunting but thinking of it positively rather than a monster will definitely help me! Cheers!

Original post by Emmie85
I would say they were probably about the same level, I'd been using Arbito and they (as advertised) were definitely harder than the exam itself. Likewise, the law mind questions were much easier than any of the other resources I'd found (I'd been getting around 85-90% on their practice tests). On the day, I felt as it it was easier than I thought it was going to be, although that could have just been nerves telling me it was going to be awful.
Although I would bear in mind that everyone's experience of the LNAT is going to be different, someone I know found it really difficult but I found it easier than expected so it will inevitably be different for everyone (And as far as I'm aware, everyone gets slightly different questions).
In general, (and as difficult as it is), try not to panic! Once you're in the exam, take your time and try to enjoy it, particularly if you like debating and the LNAT essay structure because once I got into the swing of it, I actually quite liked the exam and writing the essay was somewhat fun and a few of the articles were on things I knew a bit about so that was good too (or maybe I'm just slightly weird).
I hope that helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending