The Student Room Group

Any advice for the LNAT?

Hi I am beginning to prepare for the LNAT and am wondering if anyone has any advice for how to prepare etc and for the process and exam?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey, this is a lovely time to start preparing for the LNAT.

I only found out that the LNAT was needed in July haha… anywho, get to know the exam format very well firstly. This includes the structure of the question, the format, layout, the usual and typical types of questions, what each type of question is really asking etc.
Then I would recommend working on your speed reading and comprehension skills. Make use of the resources online and also the resources you may have bought.
Lastly, do lots and lots of practise!! Reflect on incorrect answers and figure out how your thought process works.

For the essay... read some examples to grasp the format and style of the essay. Next, get a list of past/possible titles and practise! I recommend doing all the practise under time pressure, however, if you’d like extra time to develop your ideas before writing the essay, that’s fine too. The more good ideas you have stored up, the better prepared you’ll be on the day. Generally the titles concern controversial and relevant issues. Make sure to answer what the title is asking you to do.

On the day, get enough sleep, eat well and don’t tire your brain out before you even sit the exam. I learnt the hard way. I wasn’t able to fall asleep the night before due to nerves and I had to wake up at 4am to travel to the exam centre and take the exam at 8am. As you can see, I got no sleep, no food and I was doing mock exams on the journey to the centre. Please do not do the same. Your physical and mental condition on the day can play a big role in your score! One extra mark could make a massive difference.

Lastly, don’t stress! I found my LNAT journey very enjoyable despite the hiccups. Keep calm and composed and just do your best :smile:
Best of luck.
Hi! I got 27 on my LNAT this year, and i truly recommend not spending any money on any revision material! There are a lot of companies (namely arbitio) that a lot of people use that work, but they are so expensive! Pearson Vue have said that the only official materials are the practice papers on the website, which were super similar to the actual test, at least in my case! For the essay, definetly read up on topics that are in the news, and watch videos about big ethical dillemas. There are 3 essay choices and you will definetly have heard about at least one of them. For reference, the question i chose was about whether university should be free, and my sisters was about whether prisioners should have the right to vote. The book 'letters to a law student' also has an amazing chapter about what to expect! It's a testament to your determination that youre starting to think about it this early- youre gonna be fine, it's not as scary as people make it seem!
I think different things work for different people but for me I agree with the previous posters, I got 31 and just used the free resources on the LNAT website and online. I started practicing a few months before my test, a couple of hours a week and don't think spending any money would have helped me. Its not like A levels where you can study as such but there are things you can do ofc.

I think it's crucial you know how the questions are structured and practice these under timed conditions at home. I used the whiteboard you're given at the exam centre and read the passage then wrote down, A,B,C,D for each question and crossed them out until I was left with one answer and went with that. (I could usually score out 1 or 2 quite quickly and this method stopped me going over and over needless info)

Don't neglect the essay section practice, especially if this is important for your chosen uni. I also practiced this a good few times at home under timed conditions. At the exam I used the whiteboard again, quickly choosing the q I felt most comfortable with and made a diamond with Q at the top, argument(s) for to the left point, against to the right and my conclusion at the bottom. How much time you want to spend on this depends on your typing skills, I'm pretty good so spent about 5 mins on the whiteboard and the rest typing and easily got 600 words. I felt this way was best for me, felt confident when I was writing and that my essay was well structured and had everything it needed.

Things I wish I'd known before I went? Silly stuff like I wish I'd tied my hair back as they need to see in your ears. Ditto that they take your glasses off if you wear them to examine them. I also wore leggings which I was glad about as if you wear anything with pockets, they have to be turned out (jackets, bags, etc all already in the locker) None of these are major obviously but if you're nervous you want a smooth entrance. Make sure your passport is signed too, loads weren't and they check. Just silly stuff like that. You literally can't take anything into the test, no water or anything just yourself 😆

I've read lots of posts about reading newspapers etc in the run up to the test and while I like the news and read papers online this really didn't help me. Part one is all about knowing the format and part two was ethical/moral/debate topics and I don't think personally it's a test on current affairs anyway, more how well you can structure a balanced argument and provide your conclusion.

People do pay for arbitio, buy books and even pay for LNAT tutors and if you think this will help you and you have the funds why not but I don't think it would have made any difference to me, I either "got" it or didn't and I don't think you can actually study that.

Good luck with it!
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by MollieMcKezie
I think different things work for different people but for me I agree with the previous posters, I got 31 and just used the free resources on the LNAT website and online. I started practicing a few months before my test, a couple of hours a week and don't think spending any money would have helped me. Its not like A levels where you can study as such but there are things you can do ofc.
I think it's crucial you know how the questions are structured and practice these under timed conditions at home. I used the whiteboard you're given at the exam centre and read the passage then wrote down, A,B,C,D for each question and crossed them out until I was left with one answer and went with that. (I could usually score out 1 or 2 quite quickly and this method stopped me going over and over needless info)
Don't neglect the essay section practice, especially if this is important for your chosen uni. I also practiced this a good few times at home under timed conditions. At the exam I used the whiteboard again, quickly choosing the q I felt most comfortable with and made a diamond with Q at the top, argument(s) for to the left point, against to the right and my conclusion at the bottom. How much time you want to spend on this depends on your typing skills, I'm pretty good so spent about 5 mins on the whiteboard and the rest typing and easily got 600 words. I felt this way was best for me, felt confident when I was writing and that my essay was well structured and had everything it needed.
Things I wish I'd known before I went? Silly stuff like I wish I'd tied my hair back as they need to see in your ears. Ditto that they take your glasses off if you wear them to examine them. I also wore leggings which I was glad about as if you wear anything with pockets, they have to be turned out (jackets, bags, etc all already in the locker) None of these are major obviously but if you're nervous you want a smooth entrance. Make sure your passport is signed too, loads weren't and they check. Just silly stuff like that. You literally can't take anything into the test, no water or anything just yourself 😆
I've read lots of posts about reading newspapers etc in the run up to the test and while I like the news and read papers online this really didn't help me. Part one is all about knowing the format and part two was ethical/moral/debate topics and I don't think personally it's a test on current affairs anyway, more how well you can structure a balanced argument and provide your conclusion.
People do pay for arbitio, buy books and even pay for LNAT tutors and if you think this will help you and you have the funds why not but I don't think it would have made any difference to me, I either "got" it or didn't and I don't think you can actually study that.
Good luck with it!

omg you have worded this totally perfectly! my thought process exactly x the crossing of 'ABCD' as you go really helped me narrow down the options, and saved me from reading the super verbose text over and over. In the exam, i was surprised by how 'non-academic' a lot of the articles were, not anything you can prepare for but just a funny observation :grin:
Original post by freyabeth444
omg you have worded this totally perfectly! my thought process exactly x the crossing of 'ABCD' as you go really helped me narrow down the options, and saved me from reading the super verbose text over and over. In the exam, i was surprised by how 'non-academic' a lot of the articles were, not anything you can prepare for but just a funny observation :grin:

Ah thank you and yours is great too! I think the main thing for me is we're all used to revise, revise, revise and the LNAT isn't really like that iykwim.
Reply 6
Hi! I got 27 on my LNAT this year, and i truly recommend not spending any money on any revision material! There are a lot of companies (namely arbitio) that a lot of people use that work, but they are so expensive! Pearson Vue have said that the only official materials are the practice papers on the website, which were super similar to the actual test, at least in my case! For the essay, definetly read up on topics that are in the news, and watch videos about big ethical dillemas. There are 3 essay choices and you will definetly have heard about at least one of them. For reference, the question i chose was about whether university should be free, and my sisters was about whether prisioners should have the right to vote. The book 'letters to a law student' also has an amazing chapter about what to expect! It's a testament to your determination that youre starting to think about it this early- youre gonna be fine, it's not as scary as people make it seem!

Do you know this is a bit of a forgotten aspect of the LNAT test but the hardest part for me wasn't revising, getting used to the questions etc. It was trying to stay focused during the actual exam. I would recommend Arbitio only if you can afford it, but it was nice to have practice questions to keep your mind ready for exam, I was getting roughly between 19 - 27 in Arbitio - which is very good!

On the day of the exam however, I had a particularly bad day with the centre staff not letting me wipe my board clean to reuse it each question (why not I don't know). I also had an extremely disruptive neighbour who I seen was sitting their bartending managers theory exam, who kept on smacking their keyboard and mouse onto the desk again...and again. Then someone started chatting to the invigilator, which I thought wasn't allowed to happen but there we go, (so glad you enjoyed your holiday greg*).

All of these aspects made me extremely tense and anxious during the exam, which were not things that happen sitting at home revising. What I would absolutely vouch for anyone to do, is get distraction ready, I'm terrible with distractions, I can't focus if a clock is too loud, so if you're like me, maybe get used to sitting practice papers WITH noises around, I wish I'd thought of that before.

To clarify I got 23 in the end, not bad, not great.I would have done a lot better knowing about these exenuating circumstances, so I would highly recommend you bear that in mind too.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Luci95
Do you know this is a bit of a forgotten aspect of the LNAT test but the hardest part for me wasn't revising, getting used to the questions etc. It was trying to stay focused during the actual exam. I would recommend Arbitio only if you can afford it, but it was nice to have practice questions to keep your mind ready for exam, I was getting roughly between 19 - 27 in Arbitio - which is very good!
On the day of the exam however, I had a particularly bad day with the centre staff not letting me wipe my board clean to reuse it each question (why not I don't know). I also had an extremely disruptive neighbour who I seen was sitting their bartending managers theory exam, who kept on smacking their keyboard and mouse onto the desk again...and again. Then someone started chatting to the invigilator, which I thought wasn't allowed to happen but there we go, (so glad you enjoyed your holiday greg*).
All of these aspects made me extremely tense and anxious during the exam, which were not things that happen sitting at home revising. What I would absolutely vouch for anyone to do, is get distraction ready, I'm terrible with distractions, I can't focus if a clock is too loud, so if you're like me, maybe get used to sitting practice papers WITH noises around, I wish I'd thought of that before.
To clarify I got 23 in the end, not bad, not great.I would have done a lot better knowing about these exenuating circumstances, so I would highly recommend you bear that in mind too.

Stoppp same! I had a man sitting behind me who was taking some other test and HE WOULD NOT STOP SPAMMING THE clicky parts of the mouse. He also would not stop grunting... While I was here trying to concentrate on my comprehensions hahahah. (I got back at him during the essay section where I made sure to type fast and loudly- because I was under time pressure)

Also I wasn't allowed to clean the whiteboard either, but they gave me a lot of whiteboard sheets so it was ok. I think it was for security purposes or to make sure U weren't cheating (i don't really know either).
Did you not have earplugs luci and coeoe? That's a shame if not, they were on every station when I took my test. Conversely I didn't use them as I find it easier to concentrate with some background noise, like music when I'm studying but know everyone is different and that must have been v annoying for you both!
(edited 1 month ago)
Yeah thats so unfair guys! My test centre gave me little earplugs and put me in a private room as apparently that's protocol for LNAT takers! That sucks guys, truly!
Yeah thats so unfair guys! My test centre gave me little earplugs and put me in a private room as apparently that's protocol for LNAT takers! That sucks guys, truly!

Ooh you got special treatment 🤣, I wasn't in a private room but every station was partitioned off and had earplugs.
Original post by skyescott
Hi I am beginning to prepare for the LNAT and am wondering if anyone has any advice for how to prepare etc and for the process and exam?

Go to the official LNAT website- find past papers - do them. Go regular practice - for the LNAT you can't revise just regular practice will help :smile:
Reply 12
Did you not have earplugs luci and coeoe? That's a shame if not, they were on every station when I took my test. Conversely I didn't use them as I find it easier to concentrate with some background noise, like music when I'm studying but know everyone is different and that must have been v annoying for you both!

😭😭 That's a thing? No... Ahhh earplugs would've been handy!! The keyboard was also very sticky (the keys wouldn't press down easily) and so I had to double back on each word to check whether there was a typo haha 😭
Original post by Coeoe
😭😭 That's a thing? No... Ahhh earplugs would've been handy!! The keyboard was also very sticky (the keys wouldn't press down easily) and so I had to double back on each word to check whether there was a typo haha 😭

Nightmare! Well I expected them to be there from what I'd read online, not sure of it was the LNAT website, the email from pearson or here/Reddit tbh and they were when I went in. As I said I didn't use them but definitely would have been handy if I'd had a room/keyboard like yours!
Good book that explains the whole process - The Ultimate LNAT Guide - available on Amazon etc

Forget Arbitio and other blatantly commercial outfits - they are just there to make money and don't actually help.
You can do all the necessary preparation yourself with something like the book above.
Reply 15

I did have earplugs but I have tiny ears and they didn't do much! Also it was also that much of a racket in there that I don't think they would drown out all the noise, I'm so sensitive to noises anyway, like you said having music on in the background for some is great, for me I need DEAD silence even music takes my concentration away.

It's an unfortunate test for sensitive people, I'm so glad it's over ha!
Reply 16
Original post by McGinger
Good book that explains the whole process - The Ultimate LNAT Guide - available on Amazon etc
Forget Arbitio and other blatantly commercial outfits - they are just there to make money and don't actually help.
You can do all the necessary preparation yourself with something like the book above.

I have to disagree with McGinger. Arbitio is helpful for timed practice, especially because rather than a book it's on a screen which after you've completed the LNAT official test practice papers it's always nice to get more practice in.

Saying that, only if you have cash to spare.
Original post by Luci95
I did have earplugs but I have tiny ears and they didn't do much! Also it was also that much of a racket in there that I don't think they would drown out all the noise, I'm so sensitive to noises anyway, like you said having music on in the background for some is great, for me I need DEAD silence even music takes my concentration away.
It's an unfortunate test for sensitive people, I'm so glad it's over ha!

Ah I see. I didn't use them at all so not sure how good they'd have been. That's rubbish 😔 I am also glad it's over!
Reply 18
I got a 33 in MCQ this year. My prep went as follows:

1. Did the sample test on the website. Identified what I struggle with (in my case it was rushing through the test rather than reading into the questions and texts)
2. Ordered the Mark Shepherds book. I first read all the advice at the beginning of the book and actually tried to understand the essence of it.
3. Did like 1-3 full texts a few times a week. Checked the answers and made sure to read into the explanations. Don’t remember the exact logistics of it but I went through all of the sample questions in the book.
4. The weekend before I did like two timed tests off the website.

As for essay, I just searched up the recommended structure and tried sticking to it. If you look at different FOI requests and uni websites they will often specify what they want in an essay. I wrote like 2 sample ones off the LNAT website. To be honest the real topics were more difficult than the sample ones but maybe I was just unlucky. I kinda neglected the essay prep but if I was to do it again I would definitely write more essays, including on some potentially difficult topics.
I got offers from UCL, Durham and Bristol so I think my essay was decent enough nevertheless.

Above all, I would suggest not stressing it too much. It’s an aptitude test, so the prep is literally just acquainting yourself with the format. The essays also mostly rely on your existing skills. Personally a month of prep was definitely sufficient and I would recommend you spend more time on your A levels (or equivalent) than LNAT. What’s more, I don’t think it actually matters how much you got above a certain threshold. So don’t stress about getting a perfect 42/42 because unis don’t care that much. Many people recommend arbitro but imo it’s a little expensive for what it is. You can definitely prepare without it.
Reply 19
And definitely research the exam centre. The one I went to run different exams at the same time so there were people coming in and out, talking etc. It didn’t really bother me but if you know you’re distracted by this kind of stuff it might be something to look out for

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending