The Student Room Group

When to start preparing for LNAT

When should you start revising for this if you’re aiming for the highest possible mark? (I want at least 30)

I was only gonna start revising for it after my end of year internal exams this year (I’m in year 12/L6th form)

I was wondering cause some of my friends who are gonna apply for medicine are already preparing for BMAT or UKCAT (can’t remember which one)

Obviously medicine is different to law but still

—-
(Btw I don’t think I will apply to oxbridge)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
start now by starting off with about 30mins a day
If you revise pretty consistently over summer, you will be fine. You can also sit the LNAT much later than other entrance exams so you will have much more opportunity to study <3
Reply 3
Honestly, I think you may be overestimating how much preparation you need to do.

Obviously a little preparation helps so you’re familiar with the format of the test, know the question style
and get your timing right but all these books on it probably aren’t the best use of your money.

Personally, I’d do the 2 practice tests online and the questions offered by the Lawyer Portal, then that should be sufficient.

It’s meant to be a test that you can’t revise for and tests your aptitude.
Reply 4
I'm interested in the answer too, where do you want to apply next year?
Original post by Vits1
start now by starting off with about 30mins a day

Oh dear i don’t think I have the time
Original post by barror1
If you revise pretty consistently over summer, you will be fine. You can also sit the LNAT much later than other entrance exams so you will have much more opportunity to study <3

Sounds reassuring!
Original post by Arisapo
Honestly, I think you may be overestimating how much preparation you need to do.

Obviously a little preparation helps so you’re familiar with the format of the test, know the question style
and get your timing right but all these books on it probably aren’t the best use of your money.

Personally, I’d do the 2 practice tests online and the questions offered by the Lawyer Portal, then that should be sufficient.

It’s meant to be a test that you can’t revise for and tests your aptitude.

Nah you can definitely improve your score significantly by preparing. People want to have a strong lnat score so will revise.

If most people are revising then the overall standard will be higher. So I need to also revise to even the playing field.

Applicants aptitude is still shown - they reach peak performance when they’ve revised all they can. peak performance differs for everyone

But yeah it is more of a test for your skills, but your skills aren’t set in stone. They can be strengthened through practise and experience, which comes with revision
Reply 8
Original post by rose.obrien
Nah you can definitely improve your score significantly by preparing. People want to have a strong lnat score so will revise.

If most people are revising then the overall standard will be higher. So I need to also revise to even the playing field.

Applicants aptitude is still shown - they reach peak performance when they’ve revised all they can. peak performance differs for everyone

But yeah it is more of a test for your skills, but your skills aren’t set in stone. They can be strengthened through practise and experience, which comes with revision

I disagree - the point of the test is something you’re not meant to revise for, it’s supposed to test your aptitude for law.

I don’t see any benefit in doing hours of practice as you’re wasting time which could be better spent elsewhere.

I did 1 practice test and got 26 in the real thing. If you’re naturally good at it, read tips and know the format you’ll be fine :smile:
Original post by hp4300
I'm interested in the answer too, where do you want to apply next year?

The unis which require lnat that I’m thinking of applying to are: Durham (definitely), Nottingham and Bristol.
I’m not too sure on Bristol as it’s not campus based , so idk if I’d even like it there. Also the application success rate is lower ,so idk if it’d be worth it in general- don’t want to waste an option.

Other unis I’m considering are Exeter, Leeds, Manchester , and i can’t remember what else at the moment

Wbu?
Original post by Arisapo
I disagree - the point of the test is something you’re not meant to revise for, it’s supposed to test your aptitude for law.

I don’t see any benefit in doing hours of practice as you’re wasting time which could be better spent elsewhere.

I did 1 practice test and got 26 in the real thing. If you’re naturally good at it, read tips and know the format you’ll be fine :smile:

People do tend to improve with practice. Similar with psychometric testing, e.g. Watson-Glaser.
Original post by Notoriety
People do tend to improve with practice. Similar with psychometric testing, e.g. Watson-Glaser.

I’m not saying don’t practice and if she feels it’ll be beneficial then of course she’s welcome to but I think people overestimate how much you need to do.

The test is primarily designed to test your aptitude for law, which should correlate to how well you could potentially do on a law degree; if you practice loads and buy lots of books just to do well, surely that defeats the object?
Reply 12
The unis which require lnat that I’m thinking of applying to are: Durham (definitely), Nottingham and Bristol.
I’m not too sure on Bristol as it’s not campus based , so idk if I’d even like it there. Also the application success rate is lower ,so idk if it’d be worth it in general- don’t want to waste an option.

Other unis I’m considering are Exeter, Leeds, Manchester , and i can’t remember what else at the moment

Wbu?

Currently, LSE, UCL, Kings, Warwick...I'm probably going to start some practice in summer.
Original post by Arisapo
I’m not saying don’t practice and if she feels it’ll be beneficial then of course she’s welcome to but I think people overestimate how much you need to do.

The test is primarily designed to test your aptitude for law, which should correlate to how well you could potentially do on a law degree; if you practice loads and buy lots of books just to do well, surely that defeats the object?

That’s the uni’s purpose, yes - to help select applicants
For me, I’m solely focused on doing the best I can to get into my first choice uni.
Original post by hp4300
Currently, LSE, UCL, Kings, Warwick...I'm probably going to start some practice in summer.

Those are impressive choices :smile: I wish u the best of luck x
That’s the uni’s purpose, yes - to help select applicants
For me, I’m solely focused on doing the best I can to get into my first choice uni.

I know and of course that’s a good goal to have but honestly I don’t feel it’s one of those tests where practice and practice will make loads of difference - it’s a good at it or you’re not kind of thing if that makes sense?

Do a practice one and see how you get on and that should give you some indication as most of the books are pretty unhelpful, only the official practice tests I’d recommend.
Hi! Just did my LNAT this year and here's what I recommend.

1. Don't use any resources that are not from the LNAT to determine your ability, they're not reliable and ultimately LNAT's practice tests are, in my experience, much more complex than the texts you get in 'practice books'

2. Add more practice as you get closer to the date because I've seen some people mention it but doing the LNAT is really about being in the right mindset and familiarising yourself with the format.

3. Remember that it's not about doing one text--I've seen friends who do one practice and think they're great at LNAT-- it's about doing all of the texts and still being able to produce the right answers. The test was personally a bit exhausting and I'm glad I did my practices mimicking the time I had in the LNAT rather than doing them one by one, day by day because it really helped me develop techniques that worked for me to keep my head clear.

I hope this helps! But since this is only my personal experience I can't say much for its validity, best of luck to you! I'd be happy to answer any questions if anything I've written is not clear :smile:
Reply 17
I started about a year in advance casually, but that's really unnecessary. I would say however, if you can afford it getting an arbitio account is really worth it and your membership last for a few months (can't remember how long). So if you time it so that your membership expires once you do the LNAT you can get the most out of that.
Original post by 947947
I started about a year in advance casually, but that's really unnecessary. I would say however, if you can afford it getting an arbitio account is really worth it and your membership last for a few months (can't remember how long). So if you time it so that your membership expires once you do the LNAT you can get the most out of that.

Ahh looked it up- looks useful. Thank you x
Original post by WisteriaWisteria
Hi! Just did my LNAT this year and here's what I recommend.

1. Don't use any resources that are not from the LNAT to determine your ability, they're not reliable and ultimately LNAT's practice tests are, in my experience, much more complex than the texts you get in 'practice books'

2. Add more practice as you get closer to the date because I've seen some people mention it but doing the LNAT is really about being in the right mindset and familiarising yourself with the format.

3. Remember that it's not about doing one text--I've seen friends who do one practice and think they're great at LNAT-- it's about doing all of the texts and still being able to produce the right answers. The test was personally a bit exhausting and I'm glad I did my practices mimicking the time I had in the LNAT rather than doing them one by one, day by day because it really helped me develop techniques that worked for me to keep my head clear.

I hope this helps! But since this is only my personal experience I can't say much for its validity, best of luck to you! I'd be happy to answer any questions if anything I've written is not clear :smile:

Thank you for taking the time to write this!
Sounds like really useful advice :smile: when did u start revising for it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending