The Student Room Group

Should the sale of packs of 10 cigarettes be stopped?

Britian is the only country I know that actually still sells packs of 10, most other countries only sell 20s. I think if they stopped the sale of packs of 10 then underage smokers and casual smoking would end, simply because of the cost involved. A pack of 10 costs about £2.30-£2.50, while a pack of 20 can cost £5-6. For a younger person without a job (ie under 16), the pack of 10 doesn't cost too much as most people have £2-3 lying about, yet £5-6 is starting to get into quite significant money to hand over for a pack of cigarettes.

I feel that only selling packs of 20 would act as a deterant for the people who are only either curious about smoking or casual smokers.

Opinions?

Scroll to see replies

Yep, I'd agree.

I remember watching a program with Duncan Bannatyne about how they still sold single cigarettes in some african country, and now half the children there are addicted.
Reply 2
should the sale of cigarettes be stopped all together? but thats not going to happen due to the tax moniessssssss :smile:
Reply 3
I dunno, i don't think so. Although saying that, i did start buying 10 packs.
Reply 4
burninginme
Britian is the only country I know that actually still sells packs of 10, most other countries only sell 20s. I think if they stopped the sale of packs of 10 then underage smokers and casual smoking would end, simply because of the cost involved. A pack of 10 costs about £2.30-£2.50, while a pack of 20 can cost £5-6. For a younger person without a job (ie under 16), the pack of 10 doesn't cost too much as most people have £2-3 lying about, yet £5-6 is starting to get into quite significant money to hand over for a pack of cigarettes.

I feel that only selling packs of 20 would act as a deterant for the people who are only either curious about smoking or casual smokers.

Opinions?

In most other countries the tax on them is nowhere near as high, making a pack of 20 in say the USA, cheaper than a pack of 10 here. You can't really use the argument that other countries don't sell packs of 10 for this purpose.

As a light smoker (who only smokes in times of stress), I rather like being able to pick up packs of ten.

I say let the market decide, no government intervention on this, there is already too much of that with the amount of tax on tobacco products.
no, thats the silliest idea i've ever heard. you are more likely to get a taste of a cigarette from someone you know letting you have one rather than buying a pack out of curiosity
Reply 6
I'm sick of unnecessary government intervention on some ideas which may have some effect, but are likely to piss off a lot of people.

They should work with the youth to discourage smoking more if they really want to do something, stopping the sale of 10-packs is too fluid for my understanding.
Most smokers i see hang out with smokers, so 10+10=20. they just both chip in and get a big packet, right???
Reply 8
i agree, i work in a shop and the minimum price of a pack of 10 is £2.70, whereas a 20 is at least £5. as stupid as it sounds, i think people are more bothered about the fact that they're handing over a £5 note, it feels like more money when it's not just a few coins. i say burn them all :P
Reply 9
doggyfizzel
Most smokers i see hang out with smokers, so 10+10=20. they just both chip in and get a big packet, right???

however, this is another good point.
Reply 10
Well this would be pointless, since 20 packs work out cheaper than 10 packs anyway.
what about existing smokers though? surely packs of 10 are beneficial to them. if you have a pack of 20, its highly likely you'll think, ah its ok, i've got 20 left, ill have another one.. whereas if you start with 10 you're more likely to be prudent as if you aren't you will have to make another trip back to the shop sooner than expected. (this happens to me with crisps and pay as you go phone credit, lol)
Reply 12
Absurd
Well this would be pointless, since 20 packs work out cheaper than 10 packs anyway.

That's what I was gonna say.

But I understand the OP's view that the extra cash (being given away in one go) is like a deterrent for occasional smokers.

Yes, possibly.

But I mean if you're an occasional smoker, buying a pack that works out cheaper than two tens, then just leaving it in your drawer until the next time you go out (if you're a weekend smoker or something), seems like the cheaper option anyway.
It doesn't work

Although, I don't know if France is a good example because I doubt, even if you could personally guarentee every smoker would get lung cancer and die, that they'd give up.

I don't see the point in changing pack sizes. Surely most people would either just buy a 20 pack and make it last twice as long, therefore doing nothing to help. Or, they'd smoke a twenty pack in the same time they'd normally smoke a ten, since there's not the mental "stigma" of having to open a new packet.
bex285
i say burn them all :P
...because people don't burn cigarettes already?
Reply 15
Personally, I want them to bring back 5-packs :biggrin:.
Reply 16
Joanna May
...because people don't burn cigarettes already?

edit : burn them all without anyone inhaling the fumes and slowly killing themselves.

better? :smile:
Reply 17
Two words: ****. Off.

Cigarettes are legal and if people want to buy them in packs of ten it's their ******* choice. I get them in packs of ten because I don't smoke that much (Like three times a week) so it lasts a pretty good time.
20 packs are actually more efficient than 10 pack...

10 pack marlboros = £3
20 pack marlboros = £5.50

figure it out

or you can go splitsies in a 20 pack with someone and get them for even cheaper (what I do.)

No they should not be banned, how ridiculous.
bex285
edit : burn them all without anyone inhaling the fumes and slowly killing themselves.

better? :smile:

Nope, just a waste. What difference does it make to you if someone wants to inhale fumes and slowly kill themselves?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending