The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

should i put lancaster as my firm ?

hii so I need to achieve an ABB for marketing and management. however, I'm unsure now that I will achieve it due to my private situation, which has caused me to struggle a lot. I feel like at most I will achieve BBB or BBC right now because I have been forcing myself to study very hard. lancaster is also very far from where i live and may end up being expensive
Reply 1
Original post by applebumble
hii so I need to achieve an ABB for marketing and management. however, I'm unsure now that I will achieve it due to my private situation, which has caused me to struggle a lot. I feel like at most I will achieve BBB or BBC right now because I have been forcing myself to study very hard. lancaster is also very far from where i live and may end up being expensive

hi! i’m in the same situation but my offer is for BBC (im part of the scheme) but i feel like i’ll get BCC or CCC due to personal issues as well :frown:

i saw somewhere that there’s a chance a uni can still accept you if you’re a grade or 2 lower, depending on the popularity of the course

lancaster is also very far from me (i live in london) but if you look at it this way, if you really want to go to lancaster then it’s only 3 years and you can always make the journey home if you really need to! also i’m pretty sure lancaster is one of the cheaper cities - accommodation is a bit pricey tho but if you look off site, i think it’s wayyy cheaper

gl w exams :smile:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
What would your insurance choice be?
Lancaster would be fine as long as you know what you would do if they didn't accept you
Reply 3

My eldest is at Lancaster and Youngest put Lancaster as one of her 5 this year. She too needed AAB for Zoology, and shes ABC at the moment.
Lancaster is relatively cheaper compared to the likes of London or some unis that have extortionate accommodation fees.
I think you should take a look at your 5 options and weigh them up. With youngest she did not want to take the risk of having Lancaster as a firm, and had Reading Firm BBB/Chester insurance BBC. She felt Lancaster was out of reach and the other two unis had a better course. But thats just her.
If Lancaster is beating everyone else on course/uni/city etc, and you think you can get that BBB (they may let you in with a 1 grade drop, or you can push one of them to an A) then yes its worth having it as a firm, providing you have a uni with around BBB/BBC as insurance.
Reply 4
Original post by totallyfine
What would your insurance choice be?
Lancaster would be fine as long as you know what you would do if they didn't accept you

im thinking of doing greenwich, i was going to put exeter or queen mary as my firm but i'm not sure if i won't even get into them as the entry requirements are high.
Reply 5
Original post by Ghostlady
My eldest is at Lancaster and Youngest put Lancaster as one of her 5 this year. She too needed AAB for Zoology, and shes ABC at the moment.
Lancaster is relatively cheaper compared to the likes of London or some unis that have extortionate accommodation fees.
I think you should take a look at your 5 options and weigh them up. With youngest she did not want to take the risk of having Lancaster as a firm, and had Reading Firm BBB/Chester insurance BBC. She felt Lancaster was out of reach and the other two unis had a better course. But thats just her.
If Lancaster is beating everyone else on course/uni/city etc, and you think you can get that BBB (they may let you in with a 1 grade drop, or you can push one of them to an A) then yes its worth having it as a firm, providing you have a uni with around BBB/BBC as insurance.

tbh i live in london so i'd just be at home. i've emailed them about it and they said if my school provides them with a letter they may be able to reduce my offer to BBB. i'm just hesitant because i've tried to see if my course is competitive at Lancaster but i don't know how. thank you for the advice :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by iixjessa
hi! i’m in the same situation but my offer is for BBC (im part of the scheme) but i feel like i’ll get BCC or CCC due to personal issues as well :frown:

i saw somewhere that there’s a chance a uni can still accept you if you’re a grade or 2 lower, depending on the popularity of the course

lancaster is also very far from me (i live in london) but if you look at it this way, if you really want to go to lancaster then it’s only 3 years and you can always make the journey home if you really need to! also i’m pretty sure lancaster is one of the cheaper cities - accommodation is a bit pricey tho but if you look off site, i think it’s wayyy cheaper

gl w exams :smile:

thank youu i hope we both do good on our exams. i have emailed the admissions team about my situation, i think you should do the same
Reply 7
thank youu i hope we both do good on our exams. i have emailed the admissions team about my situation, i think you should do the same

you’re most welcome! and yeah i think i’ll do the same :smile:

Hi @applebumble

We do often have some flexibility with the grades that we accept when you receive your results, although this does depend on the course, and how many places we have available.

It sounds like you’re already in contact with the admissions team. The team at [email protected] should be able to give you a more detailed idea of how likely it is that we will accept you on to your course with the grades you expect to achieve.

When I first applied to Lancaster it had some of the cheapest accommodation out of the places I was considering. Next year I’ll be living in a house that is £125 per week in town. On campus the prices vary depending on the type of accommodation and you can find the latest prices on the website.

Lancaster as a town is a fairly affordable place. It’s pretty easy to get to the train station and from there you can get a direct train to London.

I hope that helps

-Tineke
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Reply 9
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @applebumble

We do often have some flexibility with the grades that we accept when you receive your results, although this does depend on the course, and how many places we have available.

It sounds like you’re already in contact with the admissions team. The team at [email protected] should be able to give you a more detailed idea of how likely it is that we will accept you on to your course with the grades you expect to achieve.

When I first applied to Lancaster it had some of the cheapest accommodation out of the places I was considering. Next year I’ll be living in a house that is £125 per week in town. On campus the prices vary depending on the type of accommodation and you can find the latest prices on the website.

Lancaster as a town is a fairly affordable place. It’s pretty easy to get to the train station and from there you can get a direct train to London.

I hope that helps

-Tineke
Lancaster Student Ambassador

thank youu !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending