The Student Room Group

Aspects of tragedy in othello a level english

Hi does anyone know how I could go about answering the above question?
First I would start by looking at the Aristotelian aspects of tragedy and what they mean, then where you can identify them in the play. Once you have a collection of where these appear in the play you need to consider the impact they have on the audience and how they shape the plot and change our perception of the characters - this is how to create your argument!
You need at least three key points which you can confidently talk about and once these are established, create a quote bank you can use for these points. Once you think you have your points, create topic sentences which are fairly short but answer the question and let you get into the flow of your argument easily.

Points I would consider:
- Iago's role as the tragic villain.
- Othello's role as the tragic hero.
- The role of marriage: discuss Iago and Emilia vs. Othello and Dessie (briefly look at Cassio and Bianca)
- The various victims of the play
- The ending and the lack of a satisfying resolution

Remember!
The introduction should outline what you'll discuss in your essay, not a summary of the play!
The conclusion should round off all of your points nicely whilst not repeating what you have already said, save a nice point per paragraph to add into your conclusion.

Xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending