The Student Room Group

Apprenticeships in medicine

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Slowprop
You will be getting the same degree as a full time student gets. Therefore there should be no difference. If they can do something you should be able to also.

Thanks for this
All I needed to hear, I was always mentioning that the degree is the same as a traditional route student, and that the degree will come from a university, which can be accepted

Thanks for the clarification
Reply 21
Original post by SH9001
Thanks for this
All I needed to hear, I was always mentioning that the degree is the same as a traditional route student, and that the degree will come from a university, which can be accepted

Thanks for the clarification

Obviously keep an eye open for more information. However I do know that Nursing degree apprenticeships have been available for a number of years and more recently Speech and Language Therapy and Occupational Therapy. My understanding is that these degree apprenticeships give you exactly the same degree as the full time students get.
However it's become apparent that the vast majority of places have been given to people who are already working within the organisations. It's rare but not unheard of for these apprenticeships to be advertised externally and made available to school leavers. In fact a member of my family managed to secure one straight from sixth form. But as I say that's rare.
Let's hope the new doctor apprenticeships are in practice available to school leavers.
I think it would be a good idea for you to have a plan B such as full time Uni.
Reply 22
Original post by SH9001
That's for all countries. Generally, I believe that there is a possibility of working abroad, even if you have completed a degree apprenticeship, as bare in mind you'll get a degree from a university. For UAE, Asian countries, etc, there are exams that have to be taken in order to work there as a dr, but complications are everywhere around the world, especially in other fields too. My main question is, is it possible for a student to work in a foreign country after completing the mdda

Many thanks for your help by they way, much appreciated!!

Yes, you should have the option to be able to work abroad.
The MDDA is an MBChB course, where apprentices have to attend all of the same classes and exams as the med students in ARU. Therefore you are in theory, a regular ARU med student, that has to work in the hospitals during your allocated time outside of placement.

Hope that helped
Original post by zahzah05
Yes, you should have the option to be able to work abroad.
The MDDA is an MBChB course, where apprentices have to attend all of the same classes and exams as the med students in ARU. Therefore you are in theory, a regular ARU med student, that has to work in the hospitals during your allocated time outside of placement.

Hope that helped

Thanks for that, helped a lot, all I needed to know, and what you said does make a lot of sense. I know many people that have taken degree apprenticeships, and have received degrees, worked a bit, and some gone abroad. I don't know why this apprenticeship, specifically, is not liked or disagreed upon
Reply 24
Has anyone attended the MDDA information event?
Original post by Yassss1
Has anyone attended the MDDA information event?
Where and when is this, I've only heard that there was one for Anglia Ruskin (through ESNEFT), but that was last month
By the way, what are your views about the mdda
Reply 26
Original post by SH9001
Where and when is this, I've only heard that there was one for Anglia Ruskin (through ESNEFT), but that was last month
By the way, what are your views about the mdda
Oh. Which MDDA program are you referring to then? I thought u were talking about the Anglia Ruskin one haha.
Original post by Yassss1
Oh. Which MDDA program are you referring to then? I thought u were talking about the Anglia Ruskin one haha.
I was talking about the medicine apprenticeship at ARU...thought there was another one!!
Reply 28
Original post by SH9001
I was talking about the medicine apprenticeship at ARU...thought there was another one!!
Yes, have u applied to it?
Original post by Yassss1
Hi there,

If you are interested in this apprenticeship, please contact [email protected] (East Suffolk and North Essex Foundation Trust) for further info :smile:

Many thanks,
Jemma
Original post by Yassss1
Yes, have u applied to it?
That event happened near the end of January, but no
Original post by Winta:)
Heya! A level student here!
Are there apprenticeships available to become a doctor?
I thought you HAD to go to university but apparently there is something called The Medical Doctor Degree Apprenticeship?

- Also (I think they’re relatively new) but if anyone has taken this apprenticeship how is it? Do you feel as if you are getting the same (if not more) ‘experience’ than going to a medical university? Because apparently the NHS are understaffed so we wouldn’t be ‘taught’ per say.

- And for anyone who hasn’t, please feel free to tell me your perspective, I feel long term it may be better to save money, because I don’t want to be spending my entire life paying student debt (especially since it increased for my year)😓

Tyyy
Hiya, I'm a current Yr 12 student. Based on what I've heard from my careers advisor in my school, apparently the medical doctor degree apprenticeship programme is said to be for the 2024 cohort of Year 12's, meaning current Yr 12 students will have the chance to apply for the apprenticeship this time next year (or maybe towards the end of this year). However, this is purely dependent on whether they are ready to accept applications, and also there will be ALOT of applications for the 1st cohort that get this opportunity. So good luck to everyone ig!!!
Original post by ARUOfficial
Hi there,

If you are interested in this apprenticeship, please contact [email protected] (East Suffolk and North Essex Foundation Trust) for further info :smile:

Many thanks,
Jemma
Thanks!
applications are open for the degree apprentice in the uk, ends on 3rd march
Original post by 75Juliarob
applications are open for the degree apprentice in the uk, ends on 3rd march

Is this for ARU?
Original post by ellashenton
Is this for ARU?
yeahhh
yeahhh

Thank you :smile:
Original post by ellashenton
Thank you :smile:
You're welcome, just be aware its closed applications but theyre doing it every year for five years x
Reply 38
You're welcome, just be aware its closed applications but theyre doing it every year for five years x
You would need to verify your attendance, after submitting the form. Does anyone who have the event reference code pm please? I haven't been sent the email, and deadlines tmrw.
Original post by Yassss1
You would need to verify your attendance, after submitting the form. Does anyone who have the event reference code pm please? I haven't been sent the email, and deadlines tmrw.
Everyone has their own reference code, U should've been sent it in the email where they put the link to the NHS vacancy. Email them on the talent for care email to ask for it, they reply quite fast and check Ur spam as well incase

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending