The Student Room Group

dropping out after first year of uni

Hi. I am thinking of taking a year off university due to chronic migraines. I mention that I am in my first year of university. I was wondering if it would still be possible to get student finance when I start university again and if yes If I could also get maintenance loan (not getting any at the moment) as I will have 3 years in the UK next year? Thank you
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by chichichiki55
Hi. I am thinking of taking a year off university due to chronic migraines. I mention that I am in my first year of university. I was wondering if it would still be possible to get student finance when I start university again and if yes If I could also get maintenance loan (not getting any at the moment) as I will have 3 years in the UK next year? Thank you

Hi there,

Can you confirm if you have done any other previous study other than this 1 year? Can you confirm our nationality and status in the UK?

Every student is entitled to funding for the length of their course plus one additional year, minus any previous study.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 2
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi there,

Can you confirm if you have done any other previous study other than this 1 year? Can you confirm our nationality and status in the UK?

Every student is entitled to funding for the length of their course plus one additional year, minus any previous study.

Thanks,
Claire

Hi,

No previous study besides this year in the UK. However, I did one year of study in my home-country Romania as well. I am Romanian and have pre-settled status.
Hi,

No previous study besides this year in the UK. However, I did one year of study in my home-country Romania as well. I am Romanian and have pre-settled status.

Hi there,
The standard way we calculate funding is as follows:
- Students are entitled to funding for their course duration.
- We then award students an additional year of funding, should they need to repeat or change their course.
- We then take any previous study into consideration and this then gives a student their entitlement available for their course.
If there were mitigating circumstances as to why you didn't complete your previous course then you can apply for what is called Compelling Personal Reasons.
More information on this can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/going-back-to-uni-or-repeating-a-year

Will you be progressing into year 2 when you return or will you be repeating your 1st year?

Are you working whilst you study in the UK?

Thanks, Karen
Reply 4
Hi,

I am withdrawing from my university (missed the deadline for interruption), so starting a new degree (1st year). Not working while studying.

Thank you
(edited 11 months ago)
Hi,

I am withdrawing from my university (missed the deadline for interruption), so starting a new degree (1st year). Not working while studying.

Thank you

Hi there, What will your status in the UK be when you apply again as a new student? Thanks, Angela
Reply 6
Original post by Angela SFE
Hi there, What will your status in the UK be when you apply again as a new student? Thanks, Angela

Hi,

Pre-settled status, but will have 3 years in the UK.

thank you.
Hi,

Pre-settled status, but will have 3 years in the UK.

thank you.

Hi there, As you will hold Pre-settled status only we can only award you the Tuition Fee funding. Thanks, Angela

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending