The Student Room Group

Child Language Acquisition - Stages

Hi everyone, I just wondered if anyone had any advice about how to include information about the child’s ‘developmental stage’ in an answer to Paper 1 Question 4 of AQA A-Level English Language? I’m struggling to know where to include it without it seeming forced. Thanks!
Original post by rjwilkins47
Hi everyone, I just wondered if anyone had any advice about how to include information about the child’s ‘developmental stage’ in an answer to Paper 1 Question 4 of AQA A-Level English Language? I’m struggling to know where to include it without it seeming forced. Thanks!

I think you're on about the holophrastic, two word stage and so on! If so what I normally do is write a small paragraph about the data set where i talk about the child and the expected stage they're in and use some evidence, so if they're in the telegraphic stage i evidence it by saying the leave out functional words like determiners! Depending on the question I try to link it to the idea of innateness!
Reply 2
Original post by caitlynrichards_
I think you're on about the holophrastic, two word stage and so on! If so what I normally do is write a small paragraph about the data set where i talk about the child and the expected stage they're in and use some evidence, so if they're in the telegraphic stage i evidence it by saying the leave out functional words like determiners! Depending on the question I try to link it to the idea of innateness!

Thanks for the reply, can you give me an example of how you might link it to innateness? Is it the idea that because children develop at a similar rate, language acquisition has to be innate in some way?
Original post by rjwilkins47
Thanks for the reply, can you give me an example of how you might link it to innateness? Is it the idea that because children develop at a similar rate, language acquisition has to be innate in some way?

Yes you've got it!
I normally say something like' in the extract the child appears to be in the pre-operational stage of development evidenced through demonstrating animism and still being egocentric. This would therefore suggest that children develop language in stages, implying that acquisition is innate'
Reply 4
Original post by caitlynrichards_
Yes you've got it!
I normally say something like' in the extract the child appears to be in the pre-operational stage of development evidenced through demonstrating animism and still being egocentric. This would therefore suggest that children develop language in stages, implying that acquisition is innate'

Perfect, thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending