The Student Room Group

what's the best way to prepare?

what's the best way to prepare for exams?
i have 13 starting next week
Reply 1
I'm in y13 and didn't do proper GCSEs, so my advice might be unreliable.

Depending on the subject, I think making sure you know content can get you quite far. I was able to cram sciences (had reduced content though) which managed me A's, which I did by summarising everything on Google docs and memorising them.

For English, knowing quotes is imperative, then just keep practicing essays.

For languages (I did French), I memorised good sentences using Quizlet which ensured I could hit tenses and use idioms in writing. For listening, doing as many past papers as possible should help you get used to listening to the language, even old papers like 2015.

I also did RS and History, which I memorised content by basically writing everything on flashcards and memorising them.

GCSEs in my opinion (!!) are much less skilled based compared to A-Levels , so making sure you know content is a big thing. Also, remember that Maths and English are the most important when it comes to the next stages of education, as well as whatever you want to continue with. Don't get too stressed over GCSEs! Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by hurtinguser
what's the best way to prepare for exams?
i have 13 starting next week

@yangoe gave a good insight, so I'll just build from that.
Maths:
It's essential to understand the topics, so you can apply it in questions. GCSE maths tutor, cognito, PMT and MathsGenie have great resources. CGP surprisingly have really effective gcse practice workbooks, oxford revise is good too - but use the resources you have atm.
English:
PMT, Mr Bruff, Mr Salles teaches english and Glow up your grades yt channel (so underrated) are good, but english is not reliant on info, so make sure you know your quotes and stock up on some good vocab you can pull out in the exam. Comment on themes, language, form, structure and context where applicable to tie in those extra marks. Practice essays are helpful too.
Science:
Freesciencelessons, cognito, PMT and MME revise have good resources. Science is heavily reliant on content and application of info, so practice questions and understanding the content is the way to go.
Hope that helps and good luck with exams!

Quick Reply

Latest