The Student Room Group

I have a toxic mentality of needing to be better than everyone else in the room

the most acute example of this is how I can't stand not knowing something that my younger siblings know, e.g. if a word comes up in conversation w them and I didn't know it I get so, so, so so so annoyed even though I would never show it. Or if I suggest something and they talk back to me. I don't think this is normal, but I don't know what I can do about it. Is this like a condition? No one knows I think like this bc I'm unfortunately good at acting chill and friendly so relatives and neighbours alike praise me for being the perfect sister when I'm far from.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You have a winner mentality. You'll go far in life.
Reply 2
It's a superiority complex, thinking that you are better than everyone else. It can actually be a sign of low self-esteem and that you're trying to cover up the fact that there's things you don't know or can't do.

Be realistic; nobody is perfect and you have to accept that there are always going to be people in the world that are better than you, at exams, vocabulary, sport, job interviews etc. Conversely, there will be people that admire your genuine achievements. If you don't get over it, there will be a day when you can't cover it up and it will get very messy very quickly.
Reply 3
Always keep in mind that life is not a competition. It's an adventure and you should enjoy it. When you make an attempt to compete with others for something, eventually it'll make you frustrated for not acquiring what you want/wanted because you'll not succeed all the time. So, take it easy and try to be/bring the best version of yourself every day or compete with yourself instead of taking extra stress to be superior to others. Do this and you'll be satisfied with yourself as you would be more productive day by day with your activities and most importantly you'll have mental peace. Hope this would be some sort of help! Good luck! 🤞🏻
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous #1
the most acute example of this is how I can't stand not knowing something that my younger siblings know, e.g. if a word comes up in conversation w them and I didn't know it I get so, so, so so so annoyed even though I would never show it. Or if I suggest something and they talk back to me. I don't think this is normal, but I don't know what I can do about it. Is this like a condition? No one knows I think like this bc I'm unfortunately good at acting chill and friendly so relatives and neighbours alike praise me for being the perfect sister when I'm far from.

So now you have recognised it, you can do something about it if you don't like it.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to be the best. The issue arises when you feel the need to parade that fact in front of your peers and that is usually a symptom of low self-esteem. So why not just stop doing that and rise to the top on your own hard work and determination?

Hi,

I feel like I feel the same too sometimes. I think as a person who has siblings you are always going to want to be better than them or like something like that if you get me..?! Like they are your siblings. When you are talking about siblings you are talking about mini fights, competition, jealousy but yk at the end of the day will still love them. No?? If so then it's fine it happens to me. If not then I think you should talk to your parents if you can and if you have older siblings tell them this is how I feel. That is for the sibling part.

Now for the whole type of thing. Winning and losing is part of life. Even if you like it or not. You just need to get used to the fact of sometimes you will win and some days you won't but don't let you losing make you feel any less better (if that makes sense) feel like that was a win but mentally... Let me tell you how like.. you losing would make you think why did I lose??? Then you will realise why and you will try to not make that mistake again and after that you will win more and you will feel better.

BUT main thing is winning and losing is part of life and you personally love the experience of just winning and some people are like that but you need to remember you won't always win.. And if you don't, dont let that stop you! And some people will be better than you and you will be better than others.

Hope this helps! ♥️♥️♥️🙂🙂🙂🙂
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 6
Just try to be better than you were yesterday.
Also can i add that i disagree with @Meheraj on one point. I think you shouldn't compete with yourself like that since it may tired yourself mentally although he said or she said it would bring you peace it definitely won't! Reason being is then you are going to try and compete with yourself and your siblings which makes it too much for your head and lead to stress. Trust me if you can but just remember being better than you were yesterday like a few said and remember ppl r gonna be better than you and that life!
BUT PLEASE DO NOT COMPETE WITH YOURSELF! IT WOULD MAKE YOU FEEL IMMENSE FEELINGS OF INSECURITIES!
Reply 8
Original post by M.Sturniolo.
Also can i add that i disagree with @Meheraj on one point. I think you shouldn't compete with yourself like that since it may tired yourself mentally although he said or she said it would bring you peace it definitely won't! Reason being is then you are going to try and compete with yourself and your siblings which makes it too much for your head and lead to stress. Trust me if you can but just remember being better than you were yesterday like a few said and remember ppl r gonna be better than you and that life!
BUT PLEASE DO NOT COMPETE WITH YOURSELF! IT WOULD MAKE YOU FEEL IMMENSE FEELINGS OF INSECURITIES!

Sorry to say but I ain't quite sure whether you were able to catch my stance or not on the term 'compete'. I used it to refer to almost the same thing you said as well as another individual. You guys said 'to be better than yesterday'. Tell me what does it stand for. What I understand by those phrasal words is if you desire to do better than yesterday, you would definitely need to have a motivated mind frame or need to put more effort that can assist you to compete with tricky cases and overcome them. Also, I reckon as long as someone doesn't need to stress on what others are doing and can mind their own business properly, they won't be pressed mentally too much. That means they'll have some sort of peace if not fully.

Please raise questions before throwing a comment just in case you fail to comprehend a context. Otherwise, it would be difficult to comprehend others' thoughts. Don't know if this makes clearer now.
Original post by Meheraj
Sorry to say but I ain't quite sure whether you were able to catch my stance or not on the term 'compete'. I used it to refer to almost the same thing you said as well as another individual. You guys said 'to be better than yesterday'. Tell me what does it stand for. What I understand by those phrasal words is if you desire to do better than yesterday, you would definitely need to have a motivated mind frame or need to put more effort that can assist you to compete with tricky cases and overcome them. Also, I reckon as long as someone doesn't need to stress on what others are doing and can mind their own business properly, they won't be pressed mentally too much. That means they'll have some sort of peace if not fully.

Please raise questions before throwing a comment just in case you fail to comprehend a context. Otherwise, it would be difficult to comprehend others' thoughts. Don't know if this makes clearer now.

God! Didn't mean to offend your heart. I understood very clearly on what you had to say. It is just my opinion, I don't know if you would know but I can disagree with whoever I want. And I disagreed with you.

BUT I never said anything about to be better than yesterday. I said some people are going to be better than you and you will be better than others. so I don't know where you got that from. If you comprehended what I said you probably would have seen that too. so I think you should practice what you preach.

Also i would like to mention, it makes VERY sense. 🙂 Thank you for explaining your point, I applaud you!!!
sounds to me like a self confidence issue and to exert power. Good that you acknowledge this yourself and now you can get some help to overcome it.
Reply 11
God! Didn't mean to offend your heart. I understood very clearly on what you had to say. It is just my opinion, I don't know if you would know but I can disagree with whoever I want. And I disagreed with you.

BUT I never said anything about to be better than yesterday. I said some people are going to be better than you and you will be better than others. so I don't know where you got that from. If you comprehended what I said you probably would have seen that too. so I think you should practice what you preach.

Also i would like to mention, it makes VERY sense. 🙂 Thank you for explaining your point, I applaud you!!!

No, you didn't offend my heart. LMAO. Sorry again. I neither wanted to make you feel offended. I just felt you tried to twist my words a bit, which I didn't like much. So, I had to make a counterattack, you know. 😁

Well, I don't think I tried to be better than someone through my previous comment.

My pleasure! 😊

By the way, I don't know why I'm getting this vibe that I know you. Have we ever crossed our paths somewhere? 🤔
(edited 2 months ago)
Oh lordy lord, some of the comments on here! Anyway, I wonder if other animals have the same problems - do snails feel a need to be better than other snails? Or perhaps we're more like ants, fighting each other to death. Would it help to think more like a butterfly, perhaps? Here today, gone tomorrow? Life is short.
Original post by Meheraj
No, you didn't offend my heart. LMAO. Sorry again. I neither wanted to make you feel offended. I just felt you tried to twist my words a bit, which I didn't like much. So, I had to make a counterattack, you know. 😁

Well, I don't think I tried to be better than someone through my previous comment.

My pleasure! 😊

By the way, I don't know why I'm getting this vibe that I know you. Have we ever crossed our paths somewhere? 🤔

Well good to know. It is fine. You basically got offended. Don't worry, you are allowed to be offended. But I know you had to prove your point.

Yh I don't know what you by this. "Well, I don't think I tried to be better than someone through my previous comment" but I never said anything about you being better. But anyways I do not care.

Lol ok. 🤣🤣

Nope. I do not know you. I don't know who you think I am but I am curious to know who you think i am. But yeah no. Maybe on here like on these forums stuff I don't know but yeah I don't know you. I don't keep track on people that are irrelevant in this way. No offence again. I'm just trying to be honest. So yeah. Good to know you. But I don't know you before this. I don't think.
Reply 14
Well good to know. It is fine. You basically got offended. Don't worry, you are allowed to be offended. But I know you had to prove your point.

Yh I don't know what you by this. "Well, I don't think I tried to be better than someone through my previous comment" but I never said anything about you being better. But anyways I do not care.

Lol ok. 🤣🤣

Nope. I do not know you. I don't know who you think I am but I am curious to know who you think i am. But yeah no. Maybe on here like on these forums stuff I don't know but yeah I don't know you. I don't keep track on people that are irrelevant in this way. No offence again. I'm just trying to be honest. So yeah. Good to know you. But I don't know you before this. I don't think.

Maybe your way of explaining things wasn't the best or maybe mine to yours. No offence though.

I don't reckon you were able to relate to something you said. Anyway, forget it.

Yeah, maybe you don't know me. There was someone who used to behave like that. Don't think they're active here anymore. Since you're not that individual, I don't believe it would be right to name them at the moment.

My bad! 🤦🏻I don't know I just had to get it out of my chest. That's why I asked whether we crossed paths previously because there were some similarities.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Meheraj
Maybe your way of explaining things wasn't the best or maybe mine to yours. No offence though.

I don't reckon you were able to relate to something you said. Anyway, forget it.

Yeah, maybe you don't know me. There was someone who used to behave like that. Don't think they're active here anymore. Since you're not that individual, I don't believe it would be right to name them at the moment.

My bad! 🤦🏻I don't know I just had to get it out of my chest. That's why I asked whether we crossed paths previously because there were some similarities.

No its fine. I think my explanation was very good maybe yours wasn't I dont know. You do sometimes sound like you're writing to the king though even if it's a informal conversation. But of course no offence.

Yeah I still dont get it. Sorry. But anyways I dont care anymore.

Like what? Since you said I behave 'like that' I want to know what.

Again like what similarities? Its like you writing a story but not explaining the personality of a character. And just being vague.
Polite reminder to keep things on topic and constructive to the OP. You can always DM if you want to catch up with old chums.
Reply 17
Original post by SilverPebble
Oh lordy lord, some of the comments on here! Anyway, I wonder if other animals have the same problems - do snails feel a need to be better than other snails? Or perhaps we're more like ants, fighting each other to death. Would it help to think more like a butterfly, perhaps? Here today, gone tomorrow? Life is short.

How does a butterfly feel? Does it 'think'? Is there a theory of mind?

A little facetious, but you understand my point.
Original post by gjd800
How does a butterfly feel? Does it 'think'? Is there a theory of mind?

A little facetious, but you understand my point.

I was going more for a helpful metaphor than a pedantic factual analysis, but I think my point still works if you substitute chimpanzees, bonobos, and orangutans for butterflies and snails - ie. sometimes it helps to stand outside yourself and take a broader perspective on life and its many forms ... social comparison becomes more and more meaningless the further away you stand from yourself.

Its good that your recognized that you have a problem.
Just try to be more realistic, get a grip on reality if that makes sense. Its okay to compete with yourself, thats how you push urself but there are boundaries that u shouldn't cross. Don't be too hard on urself and remind urself that ur not going to know everything, its normal and good to make mistakes and therefore grow from it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending