The Student Room Group

any tips?

any tips on how to improve timing in exams?
i have extra time but feel i focus on a question for longer than i need to
like we were doing pratise question and i felt like i wasn't doing enough when the time was over
Reply 1
It depends how u use ur extra time, is it more of writing slow or understanding the question? For me I have extra time and i spend way more time tryna understand the question before i do it, i think practising past papers and how they word questions is rlly useful as the question itself can be really simple but they like to reword it to make it difficult
If its writing slow try to think before u write ik it sounds rlly obvious but like make a plan in ur head or on paper it rlly helps especially for essays.
Original post by hurtinguser
any tips on how to improve timing in exams?
i have extra time but feel i focus on a question for longer than i need to
like we were doing pratise question and i felt like i wasn't doing enough when the time was over

As @rabiiii379 said, to see how to improve, you need to see where you use your time more. It could be writing speed (in that case practice writing faster, but keeping your handwriting clear), it could be you spend too long reading the question (for that, do more practice papers to familiarise yourself with the style of questions being asked) or maybe you spend too much time on a specific question and lose track of time to answer the rest of the paper. For the last point, I recommend organising your time properly. Leave atleast 3 or 4 mins at the end to double-check answers and first answer all the questions you know for sure, then move on to the harder questions (now that doesn't mean you necessarily have to answer all the one and two mark questions first, if you find a 6 or 12 mark question that you feel you can answer confidently then go for it).
Hope that helped and good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest