The Student Room Group

my sister compares us

I’m 19, my sister is 30 so there’s quite a bit of an age gap. She’s always comparing herself to me in terms of personality. She’s quite extroverted and talks at people almost, however I’m introverted and listen more than talk. She often makes comments like “I’m funnier than you” or “you don’t talk” “people will think we’re so different.” Why does she feel the need to constantly bring me down for being quiet and different to her? She also makes other things a competition like which singers we like and who liked the person first, who gets tickets to their concerts, even our studies are compared. I did quite well in school whereas she didn’t do as well but she’s still at uni studying, she still always try to make slight digs at me, she always says we’re on the same level and I’m not smarter than her which I just agree to because I don’t care honestly. It’s making me feel really uncomfortable around her most of the time though and I always feel mentally drained after being around her, I can never be myself. Once I get to know a person I am quite chatty but I can never get to that level with her. What are your thoughts?
Reply 1
Honestly, she sounds really petty. In this situation, you sound like the more mature one even though she's older. Just want to let you know that this is not your fault and that (in the nicest way possible) your sister needs to grow up. Also,I'm assuming you guys weren't that close as kids sI I think you should try to hang out more like I think try and compromise by going to places that both of you enjoy and just generally hanging out together. I think the first step is to try and generally have a convo and then somewhere in the middle of it (when you feel it's best) mention that you want to hang out together. Hopefully this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending