The Student Room Group

Builder's nightmare -should i pay?

We have a builder who is a nightmare and there has been a host of problems. He is not interested in solving issues raised with him but wants full payment. What should I do?
Original post by Kutie Karen
We have a builder who is a nightmare and there has been a host of problems. He is not interested in solving issues raised with him but wants full payment. What should I do?

Was the work to be done agreed in writing beforehand? It is clear that the agreed work has not been done (or has not been done to a reasonable standard)? Or could the builder successfully argue (a) that the issues which you have identified are not within the original scope of the work to be done, or (b) that you're being overly and unnecessarily "fussy" about the quality of the work?

You are within your rights to refuse to pay for work which had not been done, or which has not been done to a reasonable standard. Hopefully, your refusal to pay will persuade them to actually resolve the issues which you have identified.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Was the work to be done agreed in writing beforehand? It is clear that the agreed work has not been done (or has not been done to a reasonable standard)? Or could the builder successfully argue (a) that the issues which you have identified are not within the original scope of the work to be done, or (b) that you're being overly and unnecessarily "fussy" about the quality of the work?

You are within your rights to refuse to pay for work which had not been done, or which has not been done to a reasonable standard. Hopefully, your refusal to pay will persuade them to actually resolve the issues which you have identified.

He won't listen to anything and twists everything. How do I go about this without it becoming aggressive with him?
He won't listen to anything and twists everything. How do I go about this without it becoming aggressive with him?

You realise, I assume, that you haven't answered a single one of the questions I asked? :smile:

If he won't listen, then you have two choices.
1. Stop talking. You have his money. It is incumbent upon him to find some way to persuade you to part with that money.
2. Get firm (not aggressive) and demand that the issues be rectified. Is he a member of any body to which you could make a complaint? That could be anything from the Federation of Master Builders to Checkatrade.

Another avenue you could follow would be to read what Citizens Advice have to say at Problem with building work, decorating or home improvements, or call their consumer helpline on 0808 223 1133 for advice. If all else fails, contact your local Trading Standards office.
Reply 4
Make a list of everything that has been done to a sub standard level and provide photographic proof, and then state what has not been done that was included in your quote ( original and amended) Give this to the builder and say that you will pay when the items on the list have been sorted out. If the quote was amended then both of you should have signed the quote with any and all financial implications included and signed off.
Reply 5
Original post by DataVenia
You realise, I assume, that you haven't answered a single one of the questions I asked? :smile:

If he won't listen, then you have two choices.
1. Stop talking. You have his money. It is incumbent upon him to find some way to persuade you to part with that money.
2. Get firm (not aggressive) and demand that the issues be rectified. Is he a member of any body to which you could make a complaint? That could be anything from the Federation of Master Builders to Checkatrade.

Another avenue you could follow would be to read what Citizens Advice have to say at Problem with building work, decorating or home improvements, or call their consumer helpline on 0808 223 1133 for advice. If all else fails, contact your local Trading Standards office.

Yes member of federation of master builders. They were not very helpful
Reply 6
Yes member of federation of master builders. They were not very helpful

That still didn't answer any of the clarifying questions the poster asked....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending