The Student Room Group

Nightmare flatmate

I’m in first year of uni in halls, there’s only 4 (including myself) in total and the only space we share is the kitchen. In first semester, my flat mate would blast music and have his really annoying loud mates over for parties that would last until 4am sometimes. I would occasionally give him a message politely asking to turn the music down and he would. Then it’s fine until his friends become unruly animals.
Now, I get having parties (I have people over sometimes, but never that late because of respect of my flat mates) which him and his friends seem to lack awareness of, of which his response is ‘it’s first year it’s not that deep’. I don’t mind at all him having friends over, of course we all do, but not screaming/shouting/singing that late where it’s affecting my health to the point I can’t sleep and feel uncomfortable multiple times a week.
I confronted this last night, of which his friend said ‘**** you’ multiple times to me at my door, never to my face. When I asked who was it, nobody owned up.
AITA for wanting/needing sleep for somewhere I pay as much as him?? I’ve been too nice now but it’s getting too much I can’t cope anymore and need some advice! (Ik this ain’t Reddit)
Reply 1
you do not have to put up with this behaviour. i get that it is a student hall, not a monastery, but you need to be able to work and sleep. after all you are paying £1000s for the privilege of having your life ruined by these morons.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #1
I’m in first year of uni in halls, there’s only 4 (including myself) in total and the only space we share is the kitchen. In first semester, my flat mate would blast music and have his really annoying loud mates over for parties that would last until 4am sometimes. I would occasionally give him a message politely asking to turn the music down and he would. Then it’s fine until his friends become unruly animals.
Now, I get having parties (I have people over sometimes, but never that late because of respect of my flat mates) which him and his friends seem to lack awareness of, of which his response is ‘it’s first year it’s not that deep’. I don’t mind at all him having friends over, of course we all do, but not screaming/shouting/singing that late where it’s affecting my health to the point I can’t sleep and feel uncomfortable multiple times a week.
I confronted this last night, of which his friend said ‘**** you’ multiple times to me at my door, never to my face. When I asked who was it, nobody owned up.
AITA for wanting/needing sleep for somewhere I pay as much as him?? I’ve been too nice now but it’s getting too much I can’t cope anymore and need some advice! (Ik this ain’t Reddit)

Most halls have rules on noise after a certain time. You need to report this.
Reply 3
Original post by the bear
you do not have to put up with this behaviour. i get that it is a student hall, not a monastery, but you need to be able to work and sleep. after all you are paying £1000s for the privilege of having your life ruined by these morons.

Exactly thank you! I just broke and warned him I’ll report it if it happens a lot again because idk what else to do. Maybe I was raised different but it goes without saying that you should respect the people you live with, especially since you didn’t choose them. They don’t even message me to give a warning they’re having a party. Annoying!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending